Thread: Playoffs???
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
Just curious on how playoffs were assigned in everyone's area. In the chapter that I am there is a District playoff assignor. There are 5 (or 6) chapters that make up our district. He is responsible of assigning all district level playoff games girls and boys. He does an extremely good job. Officials for the most part have no idea until the playoffs get here if they will have a game or not. I got my first playoff game last year but that doesn't mean I will get one this year. I am hopful though.
Washinton State - Snohomish County Association

Our local associations (boys and girls are separate) get a certain number of "slots" for district playoffs. The number of slots we get is based on a formula which includes the number of certified officials we have in our association plus the number of schools we serve.

Our regular-season assignors also assign the district playoffs and fill those slots based on our ratings system.

We send our top-rated officials to state (the number of slots is again based on the number of certified officials in our group and the number of schools we serve). There are 6 state tournaments in the state of Washington. This year, our group is sending a total of 4 officials to state in boys and 4 in girls. We have a local association rule that an individual official may not go to state more than two years in a row.

The state tournaments have their own staff who assign the games at state and do the observing/evaluation process.