The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Runaway game

Like to hear some ideas

Game is a rout score ends up being 103 - 23 winning team won't stop pressing the whole game, I can't tell the coach to stop, I tried to be tougher on the team as far as their fouls and violations, just wonder how you guys would handle it.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 06:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Hopefully smile if some team kicks the crap out of them in the tournament.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

You just live with it and believe in karma.

I wish that the states would put in some sort of rule in the 3rd or 4th quarter that if you are down by 30 points or more, then it would be continuous clock. There are some games that it would make life much grander.

Mr. Motivation
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by force39
Like to hear some ideas

Game is a rout score ends up being 103 - 23 winning team won't stop pressing the whole game, I can't tell the coach to stop, I tried to be tougher on the team as far as their fouls and violations, just wonder how you guys would handle it.
I wouldn't be tougher on the team as far as their fouls and violations go. We're there to officiate, not pass judgement.

It's not our job to be the judge, jury and executioner. It is our job to give both teams a fair, evenly-called game.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

JR, I agree. Last year I was getting ready to take my Class 1 certification test that will allow me to do Varsity games. One of the requirements are that two Class 1 officials must do written assessments of my work. I had arranged for someone I knew to do it at a Girls JV game for one of the teams that made it to the State Finals.

The game was a blow-out. This program, being a strong program, runs a high pressure trapping full court defense. Obviously, for a JV game, the thought of the coaching staff is that they keep it up. (Not saying that I agree with that, but that's how they think). By halftime, the score is something like 40-11. My partner gets a bug up his @$$ and decides hes going to "send a message" by calling every touch he could a foul until they back off into a passive 2-3. Yeah! Riiiight! The HC, being a stubborn cuss that I have had issues with in the past, recognizes whats going on and slaps a full court press on. (No idiot ref is going to bully me!) The JV game took almost 2 hours! The Varsity guys were so pissed, including my assessor, that I didn't get the assessment done. I called 1 foul the whole second half. That guy is on my very short DNWWTIEA list.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:41am
In Memoriam

Ignats, it's called sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong imo. We might not like or agree with it, and it personally pisses me off too also, but we're the only ones in the gym that are expected to be completely neutral at all times.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Amen. And that was a perfect lesson.

Its funny. For football, since I am a season ticket holder for a major college power, I have little sympathy for the losing sides on blowouts. I subscribe to the Bobby Bowden theory. "Its not MY job to stop my team from scoring...its yours." But for basketball, I don't like it either.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

I like the responses I have seen to this question. I have found that refereeing the scoreboard is a talent that you can develop but you have to use a large dose of good judgment and discretion, just like everything else in refereeing. You cannot make calls that allow people in the gym to say, hey that guy is cheating us just because we are better. You can choose gray area calls here and there and give the benefit of the doubt to the team getting thumped, but not in the name of sending a message to the victorious coach. I do it because I think it helps relieve some of the stress on the team getting killed. They can start to get chippy, particularly if they are getting beat and their attitude will not be helped if they feel they are getting pushed around and cannot turn to the refs. There are too many tough-guy refs who have reaching the conclusion that is unfair to press when you are ahead and they are going to help enforce the rule. Not our business in my opinion. Our business is to call a game and let the players be the memorable ones.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmotivation
You just live with it and believe in karma.

I wish that the states would put in some sort of rule in the 3rd or 4th quarter that if you are down by 30 points or more, then it would be continuous clock. There are some games that it would make life much grander.

Mr. Motivation
PA has a running clock rule; 40 points and it runs on everything except timeouts and free throws. I've had two BV games where it came into play; makes life much easier.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

In these situation it's easy to get focused on the winners, or the scoreboard leaders I should say.

Don't neglect to also monitor the "2nd place team"! Your just as likely to have a major explosion coming from them
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I had one of these recently and probably will have another tonight as well as next week. What I do in these situations is not look at the score. I still check the scoreboard for time and fouls but purposely do not look at what the score is.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 10:58am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by force39
Like to hear some ideas

I keep calling the same game I called at 0-0.
Too, there can be a lot less running when the floor is tilted toward the winner's press.

Solid off-ball officiating and quick glances at the benches can help us maintain propriety during such games.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

But God help the winning coach if he/she so much as peeps at me!