The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 16, 2000, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Nevada Boys1A (lowest level),
I have one game at 300pm and another at 530pm (20 miles away).
It takes me 1:10 minutes to get to the second site and I walk in at 525pm. My partner is no where in sight (yes, I contacted him earlier during the day).
I call my partner with the scorer's cellphone and he says he is on his way. He lives 1 minute from the location of my first game and I know it is going to take him awhile to get to this location.
I ask the home coach if he wants to delay 30 minutes, he and the other coach confer and say no, go ahead with one official (they both state that I am a veteran and I can handle it).
I have a pregame and ask for the players help on out-of-bounds under the basket since I may not see everything. I also ask the coaches to bear with me as I will certainly miss some calls.
1 minute into the game the visiting coach starts saying that it was a mistake to start the game, even though the home team has more fouls. He doesn't like the ones I have to pass on since I can't see through the players.
Midway through the 2nd quarter I warn the coach that I cannot tolerate further his constant questioning of calls.
The half ends with the home team ahead 38-15, 14 fouls against the home team and 9 against the visitors.
The visiting coach says he will not start the second half unless a second official shows up.
I ask him not to do what he said and that I have called my partner, who should arrive shortly. I also say that the 2nd half will start on time and that if he is not on the floor 1 minute after the buzzer sounds ending the intermission that he will be charged with a technical foul.
Now we all no that a 2nd technical will cause the coach to have to leave the gym and I am not sure that his scorekeeper on the bench is a teacher, so I do not want to go to the 2nd technical foul and a possible forfeit.
Fortunately, my partner walked into the gym with 5 minutes left in the intermission.
Comments?
Old Sun Jan 16, 2000, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Not an ideal situation, but how many of us haven't done games by ourselves at one time or another. Fortunately, you knew your partner was on his way and you could reasonably estimate when he would arrive. I suspect I would have simply told the coach that I understood his concern, and that we would wait for my partner to show before starting the second half. Of course, if your partner was NOT going to show, I suppose one option would be to suspend the game and complete it on another date when both officials would be there. Otherwise, it's play now or forfeit. No need for a technical--if the coach doesn't put his team on the court, which is his right, then it's a forfeit. The score stands if the other team was ahead at the time.