Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I don't know the exact wording on this, but if the ball was to hit the side wall and then goes in play. Several conditions would apply here.

1. A2 goes gets the ball and returns OOB and passes within 5 seconds, okay. Count does not stop.
2. B2 recovers the ball inbounds after it hits the sidewall. Blow it dead, pass was not thrown-in. Have team A inbound again, same priviledges.
3. After the ball hits the sidewall, A1 recovers. Blow it dead, pass was not thrown-in. I'm struggling here with this being a violation or not. I am leaning towards a violation in that A1 can not pass the ball to himself or carry the ball onto the court for a throw-in. However, having team A inbound the ball again, endline priviledges remain, sounds reasonable too, but this is a violation.

Man, I hope this never happens in a game I'm working.
It's not nearly this complicated. Read the rule book, read the case book, apply accordingly. 7-6 and 7.6 parts would be a good start.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

The OOB's pass to a teammate OOB's who then throws it IB's is a great way to get the ball IB's after a made basket if the other team has great pressure. It is usually used after a TO and the run the endline is still intact.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 02:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't know the exact wording on this, but if the ball was to hit the side wall and then goes in play. Several conditions would apply here.

1. A2 goes gets the ball and returns OOB and passes within 5 seconds, okay. Count does not stop.
2. B2 recovers the ball inbounds after it hits the sidewall. Blow it dead, pass was not thrown-in. Have team A inbound again, same priviledges.
3. After the ball hits the sidewall, A1 recovers. Blow it dead, pass was not thrown-in. I'm struggling here with this being a violation or not. I am leaning towards a violation in that A1 can not pass the ball to himself or carry the ball onto the court for a throw-in. However, having team A inbound the ball again, endline priviledges remain, sounds reasonable too, but this is a violation.
It shouldn't be that difficult, Old School. Case book play 9.2.2SitA(a&b) gives you the rationale to call the play properly. Just follow the case play.

You do know what that case play says, don't you? If you don't mind, would you please post it for any other readers that may not have a case book. Much appreciated.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 03:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
It shouldn't be that difficult, Old School. Case book play 9.2.2SitA(a&b) gives you the rationale to call the play properly. Just follow the case play.

You do know what that case play says, don't you? If you don't mind, would you please post it for any other readers that may not have a case book. Much appreciated.
I believe I got the play right without going to the casebook. If not, I'm sure you will correct me.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I believe I got the play right without going to the casebook. If not, I'm sure you will correct me.
No, aamof Old School, you were completely WRONG as per that case book play.

That's exactly why you should never answer rules questions, JMO. All you had to do was look that case play up and you would have known that you were wrong. If you don't own the rules and case book though, you do run into some problems though, don't you?

Gee, over 10,000 games in 16 years and he's never owned an NFHS rule or case book. That's a record that may never be broken.

DISCLAIMER: Of course, if you don't high school games, there's really no need to buy 'em anyway.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 04:01pm.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 04:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
No, aamof Old School, you were completely WRONG as per that case book play.

That's exactly why you should never answer rules questions, JMO. All you had to do was look that case play up and you would have known that you were wrong. If you don't own the rules and case book though, you do run into some problems though, don't you?

Gee, over 10,000 games in 16 years and he's never owned an NFHS rule or case book. That's a record that may never be broken.

DISCLAIMER: Of course, if you don't high school games, there's really no need to buy 'em anyway.
Whatever JR! It's not the first time I was wrong and it won't be the last.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 04:48pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
It's not the first time I was wrong and it won't be the last.
I agree wholeheartedly with this post by Old School!!

(OK, M&M Guy, my penance is done - even if this last one kinda "bends" the spirit of the penance, I did agree wholeheartedly!)
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
1) If it's done in 5 seconds, it's legal. If A2 had oob status before receiving the ball.

B) Fans/parents never can be relied on to know the rules, nor to accurately represent what really happened.
I agree with both statements.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I don't know why you guys think Old Schooi doesn't officiate HS games. If you ask any coach on the forum, they'll tell you he referees all their games.

Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
I don't know why you guys think Old Schooi doesn't officiate HS games. If you ask any coach on the forum, they'll tell you he referees all their games.

Ubad.