The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Please clear up the correct procedure of what should happen after a made basket. If the ball is dead, whose responsibility is it to get the ball to the ref? Does the ref have to hand the ball or can he/she throw/bounce pass to the to the player out of bounds? Once the ref receives the ball after a made basket, is the ref obligated to immediately give the ball to the player out of bounds (thus starting the 5 sec. count)?
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

After a made basket the official usually does not handle the ball. The player can just pick it up off the floor and throw it in.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

I will try to answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by khoin
If the ball is dead, whose responsibility is it to get the ball to the ref?
Not sure I understand the question. There are many times when the ball is dead and the official is not supposed to be in possession of the ball. For example after a made basket.

Quote:
Does the ref have to hand the ball or can he/she throw/bounce pass to the to the player out of bounds?
You can hand or bounce the ball to the thrower. I have read that it is different in some areas as to whether you can do that on the baseline. They way I have always been taught is that you bounce the ball to give yourself a better position to cover the play. If you are not in a better position to bounce the ball you can simply hand the ball to the thrower.

Quote:
Once the ref receives the ball after a made basket, is the ref obligated to immediately give the ball to the player out of bounds (thus starting the 5 sec. count)?
The ref should not be touching the ball after a made basket unless the ball just happens to bounce right to them. They players are the ones suppose to get the ball unless the ball totally bounces away from them. But then it is not the job of the officials to chase the ball.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Please clear up the correct procedure of what should happen after a made basket. If the ball is dead, whose responsibility is it to get the ball to the ref? Does the ref have to hand the ball or can he/she throw/bounce pass to the to the player out of bounds? Once the ref receives the ball after a made basket, is the ref obligated to immediately give the ball to the player out of bounds (thus starting the 5 sec. count)?
The proper mechanic is to either hand or bounce the ball to the thrower. The ball may be bounced anytime, other than when there is pressure, by trail. Lead may bounce across the corner on a sideline throw in below the free throw line, all endline throw ins should be handed by lead.

The after a made basket question needs more info.

1) Did the scoring team cause the official to get the ball?

2) Did the throwing team give them the ball?

3) Was the ball loose and retrived by either team, a fan, coach, or cheerleader?

4)Did the ball just bounce to the official on it's own?

In 1 the official may have a delay warning or T, if a warning has already been given, on the scoring team. If that is the case the official would blow the whistle issue the warning to the table/coach and administer the throw in to B with running privileges.

In 2 just bounce the ball back to them and say, "I don't need the ball after a made basket," and begin the 5 second count.

In 3 if the ball was not overly delayed getting to you, just bounce the ball to the thrower and begin the count. If there was a delay, blow the whistle to stop the clock, tell them they may run, bounce/hand the ball to the thrower, and begin the count.

In 4 I'll do one of 2 things. If a player is in position to throw it in, I'll bounce them the ball and begin the count. If no player is in position I'll just drop it on the floor near the lane and allow the throwing team to retrive it like I'd never touched the ball.