The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

To count or not to count

A1 ends his dribble in the frontcourt and B1 begins closely guarding him. When the count reaches three, A1 tosses the ball straight up in the air (10 feet high) and without moving either foot is able to catch the ball when it comes back down. How does this effect the five-second count?

Should the official:
a. continue to count the entire time
b. suspend the count during the toss, but continue from 3 on the catch
c. start a new five-second count on the catch
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

a. continue the count.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Hard to believe?

The defender didn't make an attmept to get he ball and the offensive player didn't move either feet? What were they both stuck in glue, can't even imagine this happening....
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Please remember what the rule says when answering.
Rule 4, Section 10
CLOSELY GUARDED
A closely guarded situation occurs when a player in control of the ball in his/her team's frontcourt, is continuously guarded by any opponent who is within 6 feet of the player who is holding or dribbling the ball. A closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Please remember what the rule says when answering.
Rule 4, Section 10
CLOSELY GUARDED
A closely guarded situation occurs when a player in control of the ball in his/her team's frontcourt, is continuously guarded by any opponent who is within 6 feet of the player who is holding or dribbling the ball. A closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player.

Unless, we are treating the toss as a pass. It does not fall in the category of being a interrupted dribble.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKip
The defender didn't make an attmept to get he ball and the offensive player didn't move either feet? What were they both stuck in glue, can't even imagine this happening....
Some people seem to think their time is well spent thinking about how the rules as written apply to near-impossible 3rd world plays.

Nevada is among those.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

I agree 3rd world play!

If this happened the near impossible way Nevadaref said. I am starting a new count since player lost control...
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 05:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If this happened the near impossible way Nevadaref said. I am starting a new count since player lost control...
So....if a player tosses the ball from one hand to the other, you'd start a new count too?

Interesting theorem.....
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down The usual sarcasm..

Never said that JR ... Obviously the player in your scenerio is in control of the ball. The player in Nevadaref's play I can not picture being in control. 10feet up 100 feet up, he ain't got the ball, I ain't counting!

The play is near impossile and not planned for in the rules. Good judgement must be applied. In mine I am starting a new count if defense is stupid enough to just stand there and offense is unbelieveably glued to the floor... It won't happen!!!

Last edited by IamKip; Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 06:12pm.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
So....if a player tosses the ball from one hand to the other, you'd start a new count too?

Interesting theorem.....
That is the realistic play that I was heading towards. I put forth the extreme case first to push the limits.

So what do you say about this plays, JR?
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy A ridiculous limit

Not even remotely the same play as tossing it back and forth from left to right hand... Again back and forth from left to right hand the count is staying on...
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not so fast...

There is a case play that disagrees with you. (Don't have it handy). It says something like this: A1 tosses the ball over B1's head, runs around B1, then catches the ball. The ruling is a travel.

Controlled, deliberate tosses up in the air are considered to be equivalent to holding the ball.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Plays That Never Happen

I don't mind discussing plays that happen only once every five or ten years, but I hate discussing plays that will probably never happen.

A few years ago, on the IAABO Refresher Exam, a question appeared that I believe will never, never happen. To paraphrase it:

After a throw-in in by A-1, in A-1's backcourt, the ball, untouched by either team inbounds, is on the floor in the backcourt for more than ten seconds. Since the ten second count doesn't start until Team A controls the ball inbounds, what rule does the official apply? I don't remember the exact wording, but it was a yes or no answer.

My answer: Why doesn't Team B pick up the ball? I don't remember the correct answer. Do any of you?
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Not so fast...

There is a case play that disagrees with you. (Don't have it handy). It says something like this: A1 tosses the ball over B1's head, runs around B1, then catches the ball. The ruling is a travel.

Controlled, deliberate tosses up in the air are considered to be equivalent to holding the ball.
No the ruling is an illegal dribble. 4.15.4 Sit E
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I don't mind discussing plays that happen only once every five or ten years, but I hate discussing plays that will probably never happen.

A few years ago, on the IAABO Refresher Exam, a question appeared that I believe will never, never happen. To paraphrase it:

After a throw-in in by A-1, in A-1's backcourt, the ball, untouched by either team inbounds, is on the floor in the backcourt for more than ten seconds. Since the ten second count doesn't start until Team A controls the ball inbounds, what rule does the official apply? I don't remember the exact wording, but it was a yes or no answer.

My answer: Why doesn't Team B pick up the ball? I don't remember the correct answer. Do any of you?
That's a legal play and there is no call to make.