The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Federation: Bases loaded. 2 outs. pitcher in wind-up position. R3 beats pitch to plate. Umpire declares pitch a strike. Count run or no?

Thanks
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Was it strike three? If so, don't count the run. A run cannot score if the batter makes the third out before reaching first duringthe play.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

If catcher obstructs by reaching out and recieving ball before it reaches plate, then we have obs (whether pitch was strike or ball), run scores and batter is awarded first. In this scenario, if runner on second and no runner on first, if R2 was not stealing, then he remains at second, runs scores and batter is awarded first.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Funny, I don't remember the original post even mentioning defensive interference.

Dave
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

i've got a question:

Is the run scoring before "the play" as jenkins describes it? I think many coaches would offer up the idea that these are two seperate plays, as the runner reached home before the ball got there. But i'm not really sure.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Alex

" . . . as the runner reached home before the ball got there."

But where was the runner at TOP?

That is the correct question a coach would need to ask himself.

Plus Dan, we can only hope that this doesn't happen in your game. Your partner would be in "B" or "C" and you wouldn't ask for help if it was a checked/unchecked swing situation.

Tee

[Edited by Tim C on Jan 10th, 2006 at 08:59 AM]
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phillips.alex
i've got a question:

Is the run scoring before "the play" as jenkins describes it? I think many coaches would offer up the idea that these are two seperate plays, as the runner reached home before the ball got there. But i'm not really sure.
Read the FED definition of "PLAY" -- it's something like "a unit of action that begins when F1 has the ball on the rubber and ends when F1 again has the ball"

So, in FED it's clear that this is all one play.

It's not as clearly defined in the other codes, but the ruling is the same.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
On a third strike, time of pitch determines whether run counts. The interference/obstruction question is not part of this situation, right?

bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Dave,
just added info, sometimes this situation could occur during this scenario. Surely there isn't a law against what I did, is there??
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

yes, 3rd strike

Thanks guys. Strike three, no run scores. Also Tee, I had to laugh at your post, not for what you said but because I got my clock cleaned for making the same statement about not going to your partner for a checked swing if that partner was in B or C.
On another ump page, I was told I didn't know rules or mechanics and at least one guy never wanted to have to work with me. Tried to get a little discussion going about that issue which always comes up pre high school season, and now, after 25 years I'm worthless. Guess I'll stay with this site and forget the other.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

what if runner is sliding into home and ball hits runner before it reaches plate?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Dave,
just added info, sometimes this situation could occur during this scenario. Surely there isn't a law against what I did, is there??
Smo,
I'm not upset at your post and you made a good point. I also realize that most post situations get changed. But not that early. I mean, let the post mature a little bit before you change it.

Dave
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

cool, it just popped into my mind. Had it happen in a district final about two years ago. I had the dish, made the ruling and the opposing coach and fans were not pleased. Such is the life of an official, right?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smoump
what if runner is sliding into home and ball hits runner before it reaches plate?
Depends:

The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases, without liability to be put out, when

(h) Any legal pitch touches a runner trying to score; runners advance.

6.05(n) With two out, a runner on third base, and two strikes on the batter, the runner attempts to steal home base on a legal pitch and the ball touches the runner in the batter's strike zone. The umpire shall call "Strike Three," the batter is out and the run shall not count; before two are out, the umpire shall call "Strike Three," the ball is dead, and the run counts.