The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 04:53pm
PYRef

Help with my charge call..

I'd like to get some advice on talking with a senior official.
Working a MS girls game the other day, I'm L and partner is T away. A1 is guarded well by B1 just outside the lane. A1 starts to make a move to the basket, lowers her shoulder and drives into B1. I call the charge on A1 give a PC signal and go to report the foul. No whistle from him. My Partner went to administer the throw-in and started to give it to Team A. I had to stop him and say "offensive".
He obviously disagreed with my call from his body language and look on his face and everyone in the gym could see it. Which didn't make me happy.
I talked to him at the half and explained my call but didn't say anything about his reaction.
My question is, how would you bring it up or would you not bother?
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Working a MS girls game the other day, I'm L and partner is T away. A1 is guarded well by B1 just outside the lane. A1 starts to make a move to the basket, lowers her shoulder and drives into B1. I call the charge on A1 give a PC signal and go to report the foul. No whistle from him. My Partner went to administer the throw-in and started to give it to Team A. I had to stop him and say "offensive".
He obviously disagreed with my call from his body language and look on his face and everyone in the gym could see it. Which didn't make me happy.
I talked to him at the half and explained my call but didn't say anything about his reaction.

His body language and silence has already spoken volumes. Let it go and get ready for the next game. Learn all you can from all your partners -- both what you do and do not want to be like!
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Which Lane Line?

Was the player driving from trail side into the lane?
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 08:04pm
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKip
Was the player driving from trail side into the lane?
No, they were away side 6' in front of me.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a charge!!

Quote:
No, they were away side 6' in front of me.
Sounds like you had the best look then!
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 11:00pm
PYRef

I know I had a great look at it and am confident in my call. I just didn't appreciate what he did. I've tried to learn everything I can from all the partners I've had, and would have definitely been willing to listen if he wanted to point something out I might have missed.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, there is some number of "veteran" officials that don't really understand Legal Guarding Position....they believe the myth that the defender must be set. Perhaps he is one of them.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

I understand what you are saying. Please remember that nobody is perfect. Not all veterans can be the perfect mentor that you would like them to be. If you accept that, as a FNG (.....new guy), you will make mistakes, you must understand that others should be allowed to make mistakes too.

If he is asking you for advice, give it to him. Otherwise, listen and learn.

I was not there, but maybe, just maybe you could still learn something from this experience. Maybe you could work on communicating with your partner after you make a call. Eye contact, point to the throw-in spot, say "White (Blue, Red, etc) ball OOB. Then go to the table and report your foul. A preliminary call is a great way to communicate to your partner (and everyone else) exactly what you are calling. It is something I am working on. My preliminary signals. As you watch veterans, you will notice that the good ones do this very well.

Pregame, pregame, pregame. As a rookie, I let the veteran take the reins on the pregame. If s/he doesn't cover it, I will add something like..."You could help me out if, when I call a foul, you catch the number of the player being fouled. I will make eye contact and either point to the throw-in spot, or indicate the number of foul shots to be taken. That way, I can concentrate on the color/number of the player who committed the foul and won't make the mistake of reporting the wrong player at the table....I will do the same for you if you want me to. Double whistle - eye contact, official that has the play COMING to them gets the first shot at the foul. If I raise my hand on an OOB play and don't indicate which way it is going and look your way....I need help" I always stess EYE contact.

You can only control yourself. Don't try to control others. And don't read too much into a particular situation. Learn from your mistakes and learn from OTHER's mistakes also.

Just my 2 cents. Sounds like you did the right thing. Remember, you have to sell the Player control foul. It usually is not a popular call. (with about 50% of the people in the gym).

Last edited by Time2Ref; Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 06:59am.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:29am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I've tried to learn everything I can from all the partners I've had
And you did learn something from this partner: how NOT to react to a call that you don't agree with. Let me assure you that there will come a time when you are in his shoes and your partner makes a call that you just can NOT believe.

You now know that your facial expressions and demeanor can be read by other officials and probably coaches, too. So you need to do your best not to let your disagreement show. That undermines your partner.

After the game, you can talk about the call. Maybe (as in your situation) it'll turn out that your partner made a good call and you just had a bad angle on the play during the game. Or maybe your partner just screwed the pooch and the two of you can talk the play over and learn from it. Either way, while you're still on the court, you'll always remember to mask that disagreement now, I bet.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Good call!!!! If you partner had no whistle, then just politely tell him like you did and move on. Talk about it after the game and let it go. If its the first time you have worked with him, it could be a trust issue.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:04am
PYRef

Thanks for all the advice. Yes this was a first for time myself with this partner and as for me being the new guy, I'm sure they are giving me some extra scrutiny which is something that I welcome. It is amazing how much I've picked up being on the court instead of in the bleachers or on the bench. The hardest part is overcoming how nervous I get before a game. I've come along way with that though and each successive game helps boost the confidence level.
The insight gained from reading this forum has also been a tremendous help.