The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

A fellow referee ask me the following:

"A1 breaks away from B1 and is driving to the basket. (He made his move around the division line.) B2 is not paying attention to what is going on, had his back to A1, and is standing. As A1 is driving, he collides into B1. WHat would you call?"

He told me that this actually happened and the official called A1 charging since B2 had the right to the spot on the floor and was there before A1. I would have gone with a No Call. Any thoughts.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by iref4him

"A1 breaks away from B1 and is driving to the basket. (He made his move around the division line.) B2 is not paying attention to what is going on, had his back to A1, and is standing. As A1 is driving, he collides into B1. WHat would you call?"

He told me that this actually happened and the official called A1 charging since B2 had the right to the spot on the floor and was there before A1. I would have gone with a No Call. Any thoughts.
Can't be charging...charging is into the torso.

I might have a player control in this situation. Depends on how severe it is. I'm sure that I would not have a block. If not severe I would go with your no call.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:54am
In Memoriam

The dribbler collides with an opponent who has a legal position on the court? If it's a collision, I got a PC foul.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If B 1 is displaced in any way, PC.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

It depends

Quote:

I would think it would depend on whether B2 had legal guarding position or not.

For that to happen he would have to be facing the opponent at some time before A1 made contact.

Now once legal guarding position has been obtained, he can turn his back or what ever and his status remains the same.

But if B2 is completely unaware of A1 then he probably never was facing him and never had legal guarding status.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:15am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

A1 was out of control.
PC, if B2 is displaced.
mick
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Every player is entitled to a place on the court, provided they did nothing illegal to get that place. A1 is not entitled to the space that someone else is in, regardless of what direction he is facing. A1 has committed a foul.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:44am
In Memoriam

Re: It depends

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
[/B]

For that to happen he would have to be facing the opponent at some time before A1 made contact.

Now once legal guarding position has been obtained, he can turn his back or what ever and his status remains the same.

[/B][/QUOTE]David, if A1 pushed off a defender running beside him with an elbow or forearm, would you call the foul for the contact on the defender because he didn't have a legal guarding position?
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: It depends

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by David B

[/B]
David, if A1 pushed off a defender running beside him with an elbow or forearm, would you call the foul for the contact on the defender because he didn't have a legal guarding position? [/B][/QUOTE]

I wasn't very clear in my post. You are right it would be a foul. Maybe I just needed another cup of coffee or something.

I don't know what I was thinking. I was thinking it would be a foul but not a PC.

But now that I think further, a foul by player with the ball has to be a PC.

Thanks for clearing up my error.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 05:13pm
M.A.S.H.

I've got a PC foul as well.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

There's no question there isn't legal guarding position, but this isn't relevent since the dribbler has the ability to avoid contact. "Facing" the dribbler applies when a player gets in the dribbler's way and it would be a charge had the defender faced the dribbler, i.e., the dribbler probably couldn't avoid contact. But now its a block as the defender has assumed responsibility for contact. When the dribbler is 35 feet away, that isn't an issue.

PC, but I might no call it unless it was clear the defender was put at a disadvantage.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 11:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

This is a player control foul. Nothing else. But I assume you meant that he collides into B2?
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
But now its a block as the defender has assumed responsibility for contact. When the dribbler is 35 feet away, that isn't an issue.

You lost me here. What?