The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

charge or no call?

A-1 ( a small guard) drives the lane and crashes into B-1 a big post player who had legal guarding position. B-1 jumps up straight to block the shot, A-1 initiates contact into B-1's chest but because of the size difference B-1 blocks the shot and maintains his position coming down to the floor on his feet, A-1 however falls backwards.

I am sure many of you will say you would have to see the play, but without seeing an just going on what is written-what do you have--charge or no call?

(--I called charge--more experience partner thought it should be a no call.)
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

4-19-1 . . . A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live, which hinders an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements.

Did the contact initiated by A1 hinder B1's normal defensive movements? From your description it doesn't sound like it. B1 was not even displaced by the contact. Therefore, I would say that no foul occurred on the play.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

IOW, was the defender placed at a disadvantage by the contact?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 09:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

It sounds to me from what I usually read here is that there has to be a foul on the defender. You have an airborne shooter and there was contact. You have to protect the shooter in all cases.

Now seriously, this sounds like a complete no call. The defender is allowed to play too.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

In concurrence with everyone else. Definite no call. If a small player wants to come in and play with the big boys, let him go right ahead but he needs to understand that they are men down there and there is no way I am going to let him weave in and out of there, throw something up, while a big kid comes and blocks it and puts him on the ground, and he wants me to bail him out. It's not going to happen.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is one of those plays where you want to make the call for fear of penalizing B1 for being big. However, if he's big enough to not be put at a disadvantage by the contact, there's really no foul.
If it looks like the contact hurt him a good deal (a whole person flying into one's stomach can sometimes be rather painful), then you can call a foul. That's why we get paid to be judgmental; wait, I mean, we get paid to use our judgment.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

it sounds like A1 ran into a wall and got the shot blocked. - no disadvantage if B was legal I would probaoly have no cal since the shot was blocked, and b wasn't injured play on.

sounds like Nate Archibald driving the lane against Shaq.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Had this EXACT play on Tuesday night. Varsity Boys. Team A Guard (about 5'5", and about 135 lbs) but quick) drives to the basket. Team B Post Player (about 6'2", and 235 lbs) is in legal guarding position. Team A player get about 1 step from Team B Player and goes up for the shot. Team B Player raises his arms . . . CRASH! Team B player stands firm, Team A Player falls flat on his behind, blocked shot recovered by Team B, we go the other way . . . NO CALL! If coach gripes, tough. IMO, should have left it alone.