The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

There is a fine line here. In all the published cases we have, the momentum exists because a player was trying to get to the ball....to save it or intercept it. In other words, they were drawn to the location.

In the hypotheticial case we're talking about here, that is not the case. In this situation, A1 plans to head OOB and use that to his/her advantage.

At best, it seems like a grey area.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
There is a fine line here. In all the published cases we have, the momentum exists because a player was trying to get to the ball....to save it or intercept it. In other words, they were drawn to the location.

In the hypotheticial case we're talking about here, that is not the case. In this situation, A1 plans to head OOB and use that to his/her advantage.

At best, it seems like a grey area.
I agree with you on this Cam. (It would be nice to have a rule with more parameters on this issue.)
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 04:39pm

Here's another rule they need to do away with. Intentionally running OOB is a violation. In the set play by the team, the player did not run OOB intentionally, it is apart of the play and I don't need to hear no more about the play. The only reason you even mention it is because you know it is a design play. You are the official refereeing the game. Do that and get your nose out of the coaches playbook. As far as the rest of us is concerned, it's legal.

I really think this is a bad rule. It puts us on the spot. Close game, final play of the game, 4 seconds left, inbound at half court. A1 runs around the screen, runs OOB, comes back around and receives pass. You gonna make that call? The majority of us is not going to make that call if we value working in that gym again. Game deciding play, I'm going to let the players decide the game.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 04:44pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Here's another rule they need to do away with. Intentionally running OOB is a violation. In the set play by the team, the player did not run OOB intentionally, it is apart of the play and I don't need to hear no more about the play. The only reason you even mention it is because you know it is a design play. You are the official refereeing the game. Do that and get your nose out of the coaches playbook. As far as the rest of us is concerned, it's legal.

I really think this is a bad rule. It puts us on the spot. Close game, final play of the game, 4 seconds left, inbound at half court. A1 runs around the screen, runs OOB, comes back around and receives pass. You gonna make that call? The majority of us is not going to make that call if we value working in that gym again. Game deciding play, I'm going to let the players decide the game.
I agree wholehearteldy with Old School on this play and the call or no-call dealing with this play...wholeheartedly, I tell you!!

(That's two...one more and my debt is paid!)
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 05:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School

Close game, final play of the game, 4 seconds left, inbound at half court. A1 runs around the screen, runs OOB, comes back around and receives pass. You gonna make that call? The majority of us is not going to make that call if we value working in that gym again. Game deciding play, I'm going to let the players decide the game.
Disagree completely. The vast majority of officials in both high school and college games will make the correct call.

The high school officials will make the correct call because they all own and read the NFHS case book. And NFHS case book play 9.3.2SitB tells them exactly how the play should be called. It's basically the same play as posted above.

College officials will also make the correct call because they own and read the NCAA rule book. And rule 9-4-1AR181 tells them exactly how the play should be called. It's the same play also as posted above.

Both sets of officials also know that they had better make the correct call too. They have assignors and evaluators to answer to. If they don't make the correct call, they just might not be seeing the floor in future games.

Rec League Ronnies who don't own rule books and also lack balls will follow Old School's lead, and rationalize it off by saying that they want to let the players decide the game. Unfortunately, they will decide the game by not calling the violation and screwing the defensive team.

Iow, as usual, ignore the advice(?) above.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 05:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
I agree wholehearteldy with Old School on this play and the call or no-call dealing with this play...wholeheartedly, I tell you!!

(That's two...one more and my debt is paid!)
You might be hospitalized though after doing so.

The humanity, the humanity....
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Rec League Ronnies who don't own rule books and also lack balls will follow Old School's lead, and rationalize it off by saying that they want to let the players decide the game. Unfortunately, they will decide the game by not calling the violation and screwing the defensive team.
One of the top ten posts ever on this board.

When is calling a violation not letting a team play? Should I let them walk to the basket too cause I don't like to call traveling?

We are just enforcers of the rules. They play by the rules.