The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Is this traveling?

A1 is dribbling hard down court when he leaves his feet and passes the ball. However, his teammate did not see the ball coming. A1, realizing that the defense was going to get to the ball before his teammate does,catches up to the ball and taps it to a different teammate.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

double dribble

I would call it a double dribble...dribble ended then the tap is a new dribble..
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:19pm

I have a travel. Batting it to a teammate is a pass. So his pivot foot came back down and after that he cannot pass it.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpfive
A1 is dribbling hard down court when he leaves his feet and passes the ball. However, his teammate did not see the ball coming. A1, realizing that the defense was going to get to the ball before his teammate does,catches up to the ball and taps it to a different teammate.
Before passing the ball or as part of passing the ball, did A1 end their dribble? If so, double dribble , if not, no violation.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
Before passing the ball or as part of passing the ball, did A1 end their dribble? If so, double dribble , if not, no violation.
Sam has the right idea.
You need to tell us if A1 ended his dribble when he left his feet and attempted to pass the ball. If not, then this action is legal.
Also, please tell us if the pass bounced on the floor prior to A1 getting to it.
If A1 did end the dribble, you could call a double dribble violation (listed as illegal dribble in 9-5) if the pass struck the floor since it meets the definition of a dribble, or a traveling violation would also be correct due to 4-44-4b "Neither foot may be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble."
If the pass didn't strike the floor, then it is an illegal dribble per 4.15.4 Sit D&E in the Case Book.

But I can't tell you for sure without more information.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Just to see if my thinking is correct, and a (slightly) different situation. A1, dribbling downcourt, goes to pass the ball upcourt, by pushing the ball up to A2, with one hand. A1's hand was on the top of the ball when he pushed it. After the initial push, A1 realizes that it will not get to A2, and runs up to get it, and does by dribbling the ball again, but the ball has bounced 2+ times. I think this would be legal, but am I correct?

Thanks.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
I have a travel. Batting it to a teammate is a pass. So his pivot foot came back down and after that he cannot pass it.
To travel, one has to be holding the ball. How is this traveling?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco
Just to see if my thinking is correct, and a (slightly) different situation. A1, dribbling downcourt, goes to pass the ball upcourt, by pushing the ball up to A2, with one hand. A1's hand was on the top of the ball when he pushed it. After the initial push, A1 realizes that it will not get to A2, and runs up to get it, and does by dribbling the ball again, but the ball has bounced 2+ times. I think this would be legal, but am I correct?

Thanks.
You are correct.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
I would say, no travel.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 03:18pm

I was thinking it would be that the bat of the ball to a teammate could be viewed as regaining control of the ball. Which of course by definition it isn't. So I guess my thinking was some sort of much advanced, JMO, beyond everybody's comprehension, OldSchool, type thing. That's what I get for thinking.