The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is this traveling? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31257-traveling.html)

ctpfive Fri Jan 26, 2007 04:05pm

Is this traveling?

A1 is dribbling hard down court when he leaves his feet and passes the ball. However, his teammate did not see the ball coming. A1, realizing that the defense was going to get to the ball before his teammate does,catches up to the ball and taps it to a different teammate.

cmathews Fri Jan 26, 2007 04:11pm

double dribble

I would call it a double dribble...dribble ended then the tap is a new dribble..

sj Fri Jan 26, 2007 04:19pm

I have a travel. Batting it to a teammate is a pass. So his pivot foot came back down and after that he cannot pass it.

SamIAm Fri Jan 26, 2007 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpfive
A1 is dribbling hard down court when he leaves his feet and passes the ball. However, his teammate did not see the ball coming. A1, realizing that the defense was going to get to the ball before his teammate does,catches up to the ball and taps it to a different teammate.

Before passing the ball or as part of passing the ball, did A1 end their dribble? If so, double dribble , if not, no violation.

Nevadaref Fri Jan 26, 2007 05:03pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm
Before passing the ball or as part of passing the ball, did A1 end their dribble? If so, double dribble , if not, no violation.

Sam has the right idea.
You need to tell us if A1 ended his dribble when he left his feet and attempted to pass the ball. If not, then this action is legal.
Also, please tell us if the pass bounced on the floor prior to A1 getting to it.
If A1 did end the dribble, you could call a double dribble violation (listed as illegal dribble in 9-5) if the pass struck the floor since it meets the definition of a dribble, or a traveling violation would also be correct due to 4-44-4b "Neither foot may be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble."
If the pass didn't strike the floor, then it is an illegal dribble per 4.15.4 Sit D&E in the Case Book.

But I can't tell you for sure without more information.

bronco Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:56am

Just to see if my thinking is correct, and a (slightly) different situation. A1, dribbling downcourt, goes to pass the ball upcourt, by pushing the ball up to A2, with one hand. A1's hand was on the top of the ball when he pushed it. After the initial push, A1 realizes that it will not get to A2, and runs up to get it, and does by dribbling the ball again, but the ball has bounced 2+ times. I think this would be legal, but am I correct?

Thanks.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj
I have a travel. Batting it to a teammate is a pass. So his pivot foot came back down and after that he cannot pass it.

To travel, one has to be holding the ball. How is this traveling? :cool:

Nevadaref Sat Jan 27, 2007 05:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronco
Just to see if my thinking is correct, and a (slightly) different situation. A1, dribbling downcourt, goes to pass the ball upcourt, by pushing the ball up to A2, with one hand. A1's hand was on the top of the ball when he pushed it. After the initial push, A1 realizes that it will not get to A2, and runs up to get it, and does by dribbling the ball again, but the ball has bounced 2+ times. I think this would be legal, but am I correct?

Thanks.

You are correct.

IREFU2 Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:50am

Quote:

I would say, no travel.

sj Sat Jan 27, 2007 03:18pm

I was thinking it would be that the bat of the ball to a teammate could be viewed as regaining control of the ball. Which of course by definition it isn't. So I guess my thinking was some sort of much advanced, JMO, beyond everybody's comprehension, OldSchool, type thing. That's what I get for thinking.