The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Hey Terrapins, Been there and done that, Was this a 2 or 3 person game? I can see it happening in a 2, but not a 3. As Scrapper said , This is always pre gamed as a reminder. Bet it won't happen to you again for a while. Keep going strong. Part of the moving up process.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 08:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Trail Responsibilities

The play described in this thread involved varsity girls. If this were a boys varsity game, wouldn't the trail official be responsible for the flight of the ball to watch for basket interference ?

Similar, from a previous thread:

My worst call of the year: Girls varsity. A few seconds to go in the first quarter. I'm the trail, responsible for the shot and the clock. A-1 attempts a three-pointer from my primary with no defender near her. Still no horn. I watch the flight of the ball. It clangs off the rim and bounces high above the rim. Still no horn. In a boys game, I would be watching for basket interference, but since it was a girls game, I decided to glance at the clock, due to the new definite time knowledge rule, in case of a rebounding foul. Tenths of a second left. I turn back to the ball and basket to see the ball enter the basket at the buzzer. I count the three-pointer to end the quarter.

A few Team B players politely tell me the ball hit a supporting wire. I can also tell from the reaction of the crowd that it probably hit the supporting wire. I go to my partner who was the lead, to see if he can help me. Of course he can't, which I already knew, because his responsibility is to keep his eyes down, looking for rebounding fouls. But I ask him anyway, to show the Team B head coach, who is questioning my call, that I'm trying to get as much information as possible. My partner says that he didn't see it hit the supporting wire. I tell the Team B head coach that I can't change a call without definite knowledge, and I say "I'm sorry if I missed it". He says, "Sorry doesn't take away the three points" and appears very upset with me.

In the locker room at halftime, the junior varsity officials, who had stayed to watch the varsity game, say that the ball did hit the supporting wire. Going onto the court after halftime, the Team B head coach apologizes for losing his temper, which never even approached the need for a technical foul. I accept his apology, and explain to him that I missed the ball touching the supporting wire because I had glanced at the clock to check the time. Before the second half started, all the members of the table crew, from both teams told me that the ball had hit the supporting wire.

My question: Since the scorers and the timer at the table are considered part of our officiating crew, could I have gone to them for help on this call at the end of the first quarter to correct the call ?

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 08:14pm.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
My question: Since the scorers and the timer at the table are considered part of our officiating crew, could I have gone to them for help on this call at the end of the first quarter to correct the call ?
No. You own it.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Was this a 2 or 3 person game?
It was 3 person.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I've wondered this before. What is the table allowed to help us with on the floor???

Could you use the information from the home team's bookkeeper if they are sure and the visitor's bookkeeper says that they didn't see it?