The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Here's one that looks like soccer discussion.

Player A1 is dribbling the ball. He attempts a pass to A2 only to have B1 throw his leg out to stop the ball. The ball hits player B1 above the knee drops to the floor and B1 recovers the ball. Legal play?

I say "play on" how about you?
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Opposing coach might not like it, or the fans for that matter, but . . . play on!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Rule 4 Section 29 - KICKING THE BALL
Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with the knee or any part of the leg or foot below the knee.

So if you don't think it hit ANY part of the knee....I agree...Play on!

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Sun Jan 23, 2000, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

I know that we are looking at a literal definition from the rule book...But lets weigh the advantage/disadvantage of the play.

There's no advantage/disadvantage to weigh here [1]. If "The Man" wanted intentionally striking the ball with the thigh to be illegal, it would be in the Rule Book.

Advantage/disadvantage is great, but you can't use it to penalize a play that's completely legal. Even if in your opinion that play should be illegal.

[1] Well, there is a major advantage/disadvantage weighing to be done here by the player if he happens to be of the male gender. If the ball takes a bad bounce or if he miscalculates by a little bit, he'll be put at a major disadvantage...
Old Sun Jan 23, 2000, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Thumbs down

Okay, Okay, I know that we are looking at a literal definition from the rule book, and you guys are correct in your calling it a non-kick. But lets weigh the advantage/disadvantage of the play. This was an obvious foot strike attempt and just because he gets lucky and happens to hit above the knee, I am not going to let him get away with a kick here. The key is if you judge that he INTENTIONALLY is kicking at the ball to stop a pass. I probably am the only one to see it this way, but there are some black and white definitions from the book that jsut don't serve the purpose in certain situations.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2000, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Divey:

This is obviously NOT a kick. To call it a kick when the ball obviously struck above the knee only confuses the players, coaches, and spectators who legitimately know the rules.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Pirate,

Where in my original posting did I call it a "kick"? I stated that the player "threw out his leg", which by the way is no different than the player throwing his body out in front of the ball.(as long as the ball hits the player above the knee)

No advantage just a great defensive play!
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

In reply to this situation:
Fed.= It is a kick ball if the player intentionally kicks it. Kicking includes the knee and anything below the knee.
NCAA= It is a kick if the player intentionally kicks it. Kicking includes ANY part of the leg. (Therefore, if a player moves his/her leg in such a manner that the inside of the thigh contacts the ball--intentionally-then it must be called a kick.
Women= I am not sure what the ruling is.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Pirate on 01-23-2000 03:39 PM
Divey:

This is obviously NOT a kick. To call it a kick when the ball obviously struck above the knee only confuses the players, coaches, and spectators who legitimately know the rules.

I don't think there are any players, coaches, or spectators who legitimately know the rules. I think the player kicked the ball with his knee but it's your call.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Ron can I find this rule book online and is Rule 4 Section 29 referring to NBA, Collegiate, or International rules?

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo on 01-21-2000 10:12 AM
Rule 4 Section 29 - KICKING THE BALL
Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with the knee or any part of the leg or foot below the knee.

So if you don't think it hit ANY part of the knee....I agree...Play on!

Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Ralph:

With all due respect, some of the best advice I got as a coach (in the 18 years I did coach) was that I should learn the rule book. It gives coaches more credibility when they do question a call concerning the rules! And for officials to assume that all coaches do not know the rules would be a bit presumptuous. I must admit however, that most spectators and players do not know the rules. You got me there:-)

And divey, sorry, I meant to address Jeremy with his kick ruling in this instance.

[This message has been edited by Pirate (edited January 26, 2000).]
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Wink

Okay it's a kick and I WILL call it accordingly!! thanks guys!