The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 02:48pm

Trick-a-dick is in the house. I see that you adjusted the wording to fit your meaning. Let me give the reading audience the rest of the info you so eliquently left out.

NFHS Rule 2-8-1 Note: The home management or game committee is responsible for specator behavior..... The officials may call fouls (that's technicals fouls JR) on either team if it's supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game.

Stop the tape! as Russ Limbaugh would say.

That's NFHS rules but yet if I do what they recommend, you're telling me I'm wrong. You see, I'm trying to deal with this realistically. I don't think that what the coach told me rises to the level of me suspending the game. I also don't think the home management is going to remove the HC from his gym. Consider this a minute. I gonna go to the JV coach to tell him to remove his HC from the stands. Yeah, right! No, I'm not going there and I'm not going to put that pressure on the JV coach, either.

The only way I would even consider suspending a game is if I got a riot in the stands, or a tornado approaching. If the fans are being emotional, that's apart of the game and I'm going to keep the game rolling. However, if the HC is in the stands watching the game and he says something I consider to be inappropiate. Guess what coach, that's going to cost your JV team a technical. Now that you have pounded it into me JR, I will also say to the HC in this situation, please see rule 2-8-1 Note1. I bet you a dollar to a donut that the HC want have anything else to say to me after I do that, IMO.

Oh, and the NCAA supports my actions too!

Last edited by Old School; Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 02:50pm.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 04:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Let me give the reading audience the rest of the info you so eliquently left out.

NFHS Rule 2-8-1 Note: The home management or game committee is responsible for specator behavior..... The officials may call fouls (that's technicals fouls JR) on either team if it's supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game.

Stop the tape! as Russ Limbaugh would say.

That's NFHS rules but yet if I do what they recommend, you're telling me I'm wrong.
Stop the tape again, Goober. If you owned a case book, you also might have read the following and not embarrassed yourself again:

Case Book Play 2.8.1:-- "The rule book states that officials may call fouls on either team if its supporters act in in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game. It is significant to note that the word used is "may". This gives permission, but does not in any way imply that officials must call technical fouls on team followers or supporters for unsporting acts. Thus, while officials do have the authority to penalize a team whose spectators interfere with the proper conduct of the game, this authority must be used with extreme caution and discretion. While the authority is there, the official must rarely use it, because experience has demonstrated that calling hasty technical fouls on the crowd rarely solves the problem...." Note "extreme caution and discretion" and "rarely use", OS. Sentences in the "COMMENT" part of that case play also iterates that calling a technical foul on the crowd is a last resort only.

The NFHS sureashell isn't recommending that "T"s should be called. They're recommending the complete opposite. If you owned a case book, you woulda already known that. If you belonged to an association that officiates high school games, you woulda know it also. That's what they teach their officials. It's only the "Rec-League Ronnies" like you that run around calling what they think is right, without knowing what is right.

Iow, as usual you are wrong.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 05:07pm.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 06:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Case Book Play 2.8.1:-- "The rule book states that officials may call fouls on either team if its supporters act in in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game.

Thus, while officials do have the authority to penalize a team whose spectators interfere with the proper conduct of the game, this authority must be used with extreme caution and discretion. While the authority is there, ......."
Quote:
The NFHS sureashell isn't recommending that "T"s should be called.
Excuse me! Do you read your own writing? So they are recommending I call a common foul? If it's not a technical foul than what foul are they recommending I call?

Also, just like this is not a racial issue, this also has nothing to do with what association I belong too. I know it's difficult but please try to stay on the subject. You may want to make sure you take your mediciation before responding again. I don't want you to bust a vein or something worse trying to prove your point.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 06:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Also, just like this is not a racial issue, this also has nothing to do with what association I belong too.
Actually, it does. If you had ever belonged in the past to an organization that properly trained it's officials, then you would already know the recommended way to deal with fans and we wouldn't be engaging in this stupid dialogue. It's very obvious that you, as of yet, have received absolutely no training in the rules, their application and the proper mechanics to be used. Furthermore, believe it or not, actually owning copies of the appropriate rule and case books and being able to refer to them would cut down immensely on the completely wrong and misleading answers that you insist on posting.

There a quite a few rec leagues out there that insist that the officials that they hire are properly trained and know the rules. It's unfortunate that you don't work in one of those, JMO/Old School.

I'm done. I didn't expect to change your mind anywhere along the line, but I sureashell also didn't want any new official reading this thread to think for a second that anything that you recommended should ever actually be tried.

There's the right way and the Old School way iow.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:47am

Quote:
Actually, it does. If you had ever belonged in the past to an organization that properly trained it's officials, then you would already know the recommended way to deal with fans and we wouldn't be engaging in this stupid dialogue. It's very obvious that you, as of yet, have received absolutely no training in the rules, their application and the proper mechanics to be used. Furthermore, believe it or not, actually owning copies of the appropriate rule and case books and being able to refer to them would cut down immensely on the completely wrong and misleading answers that you insist on posting.
Okay, let's change the subject. I belong to about 10 associations. I bet in my entire career of officiating, I have refereed over 10,000 games. I have never called a technical foul on a fan, never. Will I ever call a technical foul on a fan and feel justified in doing so, yes! If, in a JV game, the HC is sitting in the stands and after making a call, the HC tells me from the stands, you will never referee another game in my gym. Well, since I'm not going to referee anymore games in this gym, I might as well go out with a bang! Whack! Technical foul on the fan, charge it to the home team. Fill out paperwork after the game.

Quote:
I'm done. I didn't expect to change your mind anywhere along the line,
Perhaps the smartest thing you have said in this thread. You're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours. We can agree to disagree. Well, maybe not. You have to be right. Me, I just have to make the right call at the right time. My judgement.

Quote:
but I sureashell also didn't want any new official reading this thread to think for a second that anything that you recommended should ever actually be tried.
This is where you are wrong. Officials new or old should embrace anything that makes them better. With the stiff competion of trying to move up the ladder. Officials should look for ways to set themselves apart from the crowd, the others. IOW, be different but be good. IOW, embrace new ways of thinking, new ways of looking at a old problem.

Your arguement of trying to teach/protect new officials is so old. This is everybody's out when they put their foot in mouth and can't get it out, on this forum. It's now all about the new officials. Well, I was argueing about the rule, not about new officials. However, I will say this about this extended dialog. This is about two old officials that refuses to give in. You say tomato, I say tomotto. You say the book says you can't call a technical. I say the book says you can. As long as those words remain typed in the book, I will continue to believe you can and when the condition is just right. Technical foul on the fan!!!!!!

Don't forget to take your medication.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Okay, let's change the subject. I belong to about 10 associations. I bet in my entire career of officiating, I have refereed over 10,000 games.
Wow!!!!!

I think that you stated before that you started officiating back in 1990 iirc. So that would be......carry the two, minus three.....about 16 years ago. Correct? I'm not that good with the new math. Soooooo, if you have done over 10,000 games in your illustrious career, that would mean.....lemmee see here.......10,000 divided by 16 = oh, an absolute minimum of 625 games a year. Through rain, hail, sleet or snow, Old School has made it to his approximate 2 games a day, every single day of the year, folks. Geeze, OS, even God took Sunday off. Don't you even get just a little bit tired?

And 10(ten) associations too? Gee, I know whole states that don't have 10 association in 'em.

I apologize for ever doubting you, Old School. Aamof, I'm going to put you in for Official of the Year.

We are not worthy......
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:26am

Quote:
Wow!!!!!

I think that you stated before that you started officiating back in 1990 iirc. So that would be......carry the two, minus three.....about 16 years ago. Correct? I'm not that good with the new math. Soooooo, if you have done over 10,000 games in your illustrious career, that would mean.....lemmee see here.......10,000 divided by 16 = oh, an absolute minimum of 625 games a year. Through rain, hail, sleet or snow, Old School has made it to his approximate 2 games a day, every single day of the year, folks. Geeze, OS, even God took Sunday off. Don't you even get just a little bit tired?

And 10(ten) associations too? Gee, I know whole states that don't have 10 association in 'em.

I apologize for ever doubting you, Old School. Aamof, I'm going to put you in for Official of the Year.

We are not worthy......
When you add in AAU games, little league games where you work 6 to sometimes 8 games in a day. It's possible. I'm already over a 100 games since the start of the season, November. There are mulitple associations in my state, best to belong to all of them to get a game. There are multiple college associations, and other national associations (like AAU) that assign officials. I go wherever I can get a game.

I think you forgot to take your medication. Please, for the sake of the others, take your medication.
Closed Thread