The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Duke/Clemson timing error

I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on the timing error at the end of the Duke/Clemson game last night.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Yep, I seen the play. I thought more than .6 sec ran off the clock. It went from 5.0 to 4.4 after they corrected the time. Think about it.

SIT:: The Clemson player caught the errant pass, dribble, took a step back behind the three point line and fired the three. The clock never started in the sequence. It actually did not start until a Duke player had the ball OOB again. The officials put 4.4 on the clock.

To be honest when I seen that they put that much time back on the scoreboard. The Laettner game winning shot came to mind.

To bad for Clemson they played a very good game.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Did they have precision time?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Yes they had precesion timing.

There was definetely not enough time taken off. I was thinking it would be closer to 3 seconds. It is .3 that you can only tip the ball so it doesn't seem right to say that .6 took place when the player caught the ball, stepped back to the 3pt line, shot the ball and then it cleared the net.

The clock appropriately stopped after the 2pt made basket with 5 seconds left and I'm guessing that the officials forgot to start their precision timers when the Clemson player caught the ball.

When using Precision Timing is it the officials or the table or both that are responsible for starting the clock after it has been stopped for a made basket?

On a side note that kid had some calm nerves to not expect the ball and then calmly knock down that 3!
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:04am
Huck Finn

I was doing something when Sportcenter was talking about it, but there was no need for me to look.

Let me look into my crystal ball, the call went in Duke's favor. Was I right?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:07am
Courageous When Prudent

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=270250150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bilas on ESPN.com
Clock issues at Cameron
When Clemson's Vernon Hamilton scored on a layup to make it 66-63, the clock stopped with 5.0 seconds left. On the ensuing play, when Josh McRoberts' errant inbounds pass went directly to Hamilton, the clock did not start when Hamilton touched the ball. In fact, it did not start until the ball was all the way to the cylinder on the 3-pointer that tied the game at 66. Once the clock did start as the ball was going through the cylinder, it then ran all the way down to 1.8 seconds.

Given that the clock didn't start on time, it was difficult for the referees to determine exactly how much time elapsed from when Hamilton first touched the ball to when his 3 went through the hoop. Common sense dictates, though, that it took more than 0.6 seconds for Hamilton to catch, set and release a shot and to have that shot carry 20 feet to the basket. SportsCenter put a real-time clock on the sequence and determined that 2.6 seconds had elapsed, which would have left Duke with 2.4 seconds for its final possession.

It is important to note that this timing error did not decide the game in Duke's favor. Both teams played the final possession as it was presented to them and Duke scored a legal basket to win. The timing error did, however, impact the final situation itself. With 2.4 seconds left, Duke would not have had the time to run the exact same play against the same defense and complete it.

Now, I have seen many teams score in a full-court situation with approximately 2.4 seconds left and win. In fact, I was an assistant coach on the bench in 1992 when Duke scored from a similar situation with about the same amount of time remaining to survive against Kentucky in overtime in the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament. I have also seen many teams fail to score in a full-court situation with much more time remaining.

Whether a different inbounds play would have worked Thursday night or whether Duke or Clemson would have gone on to win in overtime, we'll never know. What we do know is the officials made an error in getting the final game situation right. In my experience, no one regrets that more than do the officials, who want only to get it right ... every time.

-- Jay Bilas
Hey, look Ma, this puts me at 1,000...yaaaayyyyy

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 09:53am.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

GO Figure

"Dad got HOSED"
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
Yes they had precesion timing.

There was definetely not enough time taken off. I was thinking it would be closer to 3 seconds. It is .3 that you can only tip the ball so it doesn't seem right to say that .6 took place when the player caught the ball, stepped back to the 3pt line, shot the ball and then it cleared the net.

The clock appropriately stopped after the 2pt made basket with 5 seconds left and I'm guessing that the officials forgot to start their precision timers when the Clemson player caught the ball.

When using Precision Timing is it the officials or the table or both that are responsible for starting the clock after it has been stopped for a made basket?

On a side note that kid had some calm nerves to not expect the ball and then calmly knock down that 3!
I thought it was the officials (all 3) responsibility to make sure the clock has properly started and when they blow the whistle, it automatically stops.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Yep, I seen the play. I thought more than .6 sec ran off the clock. It went from 5.0 to 4.4 after they corrected the time. Think about it.
Who here has DEFINITE knowledge on how much time should be taken off?

Yep, that's what I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
Both.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

I guess precision timing is only as precise as those who use it!!!!!! I am sure those guys did the best they could in their own eyes.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:23am
Do not give a damn!!

If they are using the PTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I thought it was the officials (all 3) responsibility to make sure the clock has properly started and when they blow the whistle, it automatically stops.
There is also a table device that starts the clock if the officials do not start the clock. It is not all about the officials. Basically 4 people can start the clock at anytime.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification! Have you ever used this device? I believe in VA it is used in the State Campionships.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Thanks for the clarification! Have you ever used this device? I believe in VA it is used in the State Campionships.
I have used this system about 4 times in my career. I work in a conference that had two teams that had the device for their home games.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

For those of you that have seen the play/saw the game:

I understand that more than .6 seconds elapsed -- that seems to be clear. But, is there anyway that the only definite knowledge that the officials had was .6 seconds? Regardless of everyone guestimating that it took 2.5 seconds to get the shot off, what actions, from what you guys saw, would justify them putting 4.4 back up?

Is it possible that, since there was no definite knowledge, it could have been .3 + .3, that is, reaction time to start, plus reaction time to stop, that led them to take .6 off?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Clemson got hosed. There was plenty of time for all of the appropriate parties to put a fair amount of time back on, but 4.4 seconds was obviously too much.
Closed Thread