The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I recently had an arguement with some peers of mine. I was almost certain that in order for an onside kick to be legal, the recieving team must first touch the ball in order for the kicking team to recover possession. There were about six people arguing with me and no one in my corner, but I am still almost positive I was right. I know that the ball has to go at least 10 yards unless a member of recieving team tips the ball. Please respond and refer me to an official source i can print off to either gloat on the fact that i was right, or humiliate myself, thanks.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

K may gain possession of the ball if:

1. R touches the ball first and K recovers
2. The ball must hit the ground and go at least 10 yards if both of these are met then K may recover and gain possession even if R does not touch.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Kickoffs (free kicks) can be recovered by the kicking team if first touched by the receiving team or the ball has traveled 10 yards and has been grounded (in any order.)

High school rules are not available online. You can see the NCAA rules here: http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf EDIT LINK

You'll want to read all of rule 6. 6-3 and 6-4 are the parts that pertain specifically to your question.

Also, there was a story on ESPN recently where the NFL blew this call during (I believe) the Colts/Bucs game. The ball wasn't grounded and the officials allowed the kicking team to recover the ball. The story explains the NFL rule.

[Edited by simpson on Oct 24th, 2003 at 10:48 AM]
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bo_job
I recently had an arguement with some peers of mine. I was almost certain that in order for an onside kick to be legal, the recieving team must first touch the ball in order for the kicking team to recover possession. There were about six people arguing with me and no one in my corner, but I am still almost positive I was right. I know that the ball has to go at least 10 yards unless a member of recieving team tips the ball. Please respond and refer me to an official source i can print off to either gloat on the fact that i was right, or humiliate myself, thanks.
Sorry but you were wrong.

If the ball doesn't travel 10 yards, K can't recover it unless R touches it.

Once the ball travels 10 yards and is grounded, it's a free ball and K can recover it whether R touches it or not.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Oops...

Quote:
Originally posted by simpson
Kickoffs (free kicks) can be recovered by the kicking team if first touched by the receiving team or the ball has traveled 10 yards and has been grounded (in any order.)

High school rules are not available online. You can see the NCAA rules here: http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball.rules.pdf

You'll want to read all of rule 6. 6-3 and 6-4 are the parts that pertain specifically to your question.

Also, there was a story on ESPN recently where the NFL blew this call during (I believe) the Colts/Bucs game. The ball wasn't grounded and the officials allowed the kicking team to recover the ball. The story explains the NFL rule.
I believe you mean here:
http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

is there a place i can find offical rule for NFL like the link given out above?

thanks
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

BoBo has it correct. Going ten yards and touching the ground must both occur and they can occur in any order.

Have your bean bag ready to mark the spot of first touching by K. R can get the ball at that spot, regardless of how far down field K touches the ball.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Forksref I disagree. If a free kick travels 10 yards and grounds it is a free ball no matter who touches it first. There is no reason to bag a free kick after it travels 10 yards and grounds, it is not first touching. If it is touched by the kicking team before it travels ten yards, then you need to bag it, because R will have the option of taking the ball at the spot of first touching.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Keystone

Keystone

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I meant be ready to bean bag anywhere in the 10 yard zone. That is where we need to be alert during free kicks that are onside.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
BoBo has it correct. Going ten yards and touching the ground must both occur and they can occur in any order.
True if untouched by R. If the ball is touched by R at any point, K can recover.