The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 07:16pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Gasp!! Five to seven more seconds!?!?!?! How will we ever wake everybody up after making them wait that long for us to switch? I wanted to get home to see "24", but those 5-7 seconds will make me late!!

Good grief. What's the rush? There's a good reason NOT to switch in 3-whistle (calling official bench side) and there's a good reason TO switch in 2-whistle (don't have the same official calling the same foul on the same player twice in a row).

If that 5-7 seconds is your biggest worry in a game, you're doing a heck of a job. I got much bigger problems in my games.
I don't watch 24, and that's not quite my point, but appreciate your sarcasm. What I'm saying is, it seems (and feels to me personally) as arbitrary a delay of game administration caused by the officials, as would, say, mandating that the ball not be put back in play following a time-out after 30 seconds of a 60-second time-out when both teams are on the court, ready to go, and waiting, until the full 60 seconds have elapsed.

I guess my philosophy on switching mechanics is more utilitarian. I think they should be focused on doing things unhurredly and accurately, yes, but also have a sense of utilitarianism, insomuch as being focused on how the ball can next be put back into play in the least delaying manner - relative to where the officials (especially the calling official) end up following correct reporting procedures, so as to best facilitate the continuation of the game.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:20pm.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 08:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
I guess my philosophy on switching mechanics is more utilitarian. I think they should be focused on doing things unhurredly and accurately, yes, but also have a sense of utilitarianism, insomuch as being focused on how the ball can next be put back into play in the least delaying manner - relative to where the officials (especially the calling official) end up following correct reporting procedures, so as to best facilitate the continuation of the game.
Translation: I make up my own mechanics.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

CT Mechanics

Connecticut IAABO Mechanics:
No long switches when foul is called in the backcourt and there is no change of possession or direction.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:44am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Translation: I make up my own mechanics.
I don't do anything that I wasn't taught to me by college officials who preferred to apply two items from 3-person mechanics to the 2-person game. I didn't make up anything. I don't advocate making up anything. I simply prefer 3-person switching mechanics - as do many of the responders to this thread. (Thanks for the belittlement, though.)

And incidentally, on a happy note, I worked tonight's game with a former college official who pre-gamed no long-switching and bumping-and-running. First time in a long time. I was quite content.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:05pm
(Something hilarious)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not even think the "bump and run" is advocated. At least when I started it was not but it was a very common mechanic we used.
FYI - Jrut - It's in there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFICIALS MANUAL
Basic Procedures and Mechanics - Two Officials - Throw-In
218. Other Throw-in situations:
c. Backcourt. The new Trail official shall administer all throw-ins in the backcourt and may need to change sides of the court ("bump and run") depending on the throw-in spot.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officials Manual
Basic Procedures and Mechanics....
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Why we switch.

In my opinion, the majority of contact is called by the lead and happens in the paint. So I think that one of the reasons we switch on foul calls, is that, if your partner is calling everything in sight and you are calling nothing, there is a balance on both ends of the floor. I agree with the idea that if the trail is the calling official in the front court, that no switch should be made. (I know what the mechanic is, but it probably should be changed.)

I hate it when we go out there like drones and do things we don't know the reason for. I think we should always ask why things are. Know the rule, but just as importantly know what the intent of the rule is. Always ask why.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
And incidentally, on a happy note, I worked tonight's game with a former college official who pre-gamed no long-switching and bumping-and-running. First time in a long time. I was quite content.
Are you saying he did not want to long switch but he did want to bump-and run, or are you saying he did not want to do either?

Do you know why the man no longer officiates at the college level ?
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:20pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Are you saying he did not want to long switch but he did want to bump-and run, or are you saying he did not want to do either?

Do you know why the man no longer officiates at the college level ?
1. Sorry for the confusion - I needed a double-italicized "and." No long-switching, and did bump-and-run.

2. A wife and 3 kids, according to him.