Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Mountain Dew and Snickers is a glycemic nightmare. Try having fewer processed carbs in the afternoon. Sugar makes the insulin level go up; insulin makes you sleepy.
It really depends on the person. Even in people who have this strong glycemic response, stretching out the sugar over a long period of time makes the "hit" much less. Furthermore, if he consumes the whole candy bar and the entire 20 oz drink within half-an-hour of the game, his activity levels will raise other body responses and the insulin response will be quite a bit less extreme. The glycemic index thing is an extremely limited evaluation overall, I think.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliOne
I take rhodiola on occasion before a game and it keeps me alert as a taxi cab passenger in Uganda.
That's funny! Years ago in Korea my buddies and I referred to cabs as "red death", "yellow death" etc, depending on the color cab you got. No need for energy boosts in them...the ride always kicked your adrenaline into high gear
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Five Krystal Burgers and a large Sweet Tea is a good pre-game meal !
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 07:38am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
Five Krystal Burgers and a large Sweet Tea is a good pre-game meal !
He said he wanted some energy, not to get his colon cleaned!
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 09:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanrd
Often times, after a short night followed by a long day at work my energy level is less than desirable when it comes time to step on the court. I've been boosting my energy level with a large Snickers and a 20oz Mountain Dew which seems to work well but is not very healthy. Do any of you have healthy ways that you boost your pre-game energy level?
I too have experienced same problem. Engery drinks or not good for me. Wires me up too fast, concentration completely breaks down, and I'm gritterly on the court. Gatorades has even thrown me off. I now stick to water only during my games, nothing that got any kind of ingredients to offset something deficient. I have tried eating a big lunch but sometimes this has had a negative effect too. It caused me to be tired depending on what I had for lunch. I think potatoes (from a post earlier here) and some red meats are bad and energy draining. For me, it is still a work in progress but I'm back to the salads, and possibly a chicken or fish sandwich from a fast food before the game if I feel the need. I always eat a big steak dinner before a long weekend tournament (summer).

There are some pretty slick books and articles from NBA officials that talk about their daily routines and how they manage their bodies during the day, getting ready for the next game. Starting today, I have 5 straight days of big games this week. This is a key week for me and possibly my biggest this season. I got to have my A-game so nutrition and hopefully not burning myself out at work during the day, is very important.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Try to stay away from the processed sugars & heavy carbs. Another down side of the sugar/caffiene approach is the crash when it wears off.

A light meal or snack 2-3 hours before the game helps, and as Jeff & Jim suggested sticking to things like fresh fruits, juices and energy bars are best. Mine typically consists of a banana, orange or apple & a couple of pieces of beef jerky, washed down with 16 oz of V8 juice. It's a good combination of natural fruit sugars, vitamins, minerals & protein that works well for me. Also the banana & V8 are rich in potassium, which is important for both the muscular and cardiovascular systems, and is depleted by exercise.

Proper hydration is essential before, during & after the game - as one of my SEER instructors told us many years ago, if you don't have to go you're not drinking enough water. Make sure you get adequate fluids and avoid those like coffee, tea & others (many sodas) that have a diuretic effect.

Getting enough rest is important too - when you're sleeping is when your body does most of it's repair work. Faced with a short night, power napping as Juulie suggested helps. Studies have shown that 20-30 minutes is about optimal - nap too long & it can actually make you feel more tired, not the result you're looking for.

Hope you find this useful........
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Everyone has their own routine. Here's mine. I cannot do a lot of caffeine, so if I had one of those super caffeinated drinks I'd be on the verge of a a full blown panic attack --- not exactly what you want in the middle of the game. About 2 hours before a game I have a PB&J sandwich, and 30 minutes before a game I eat a Cliff bar. Tons of carbs... but the good ones that will keep you going for long time. They come in all kinds of flavors. If I don't have any Cliff bars I'll eat a Detour protien bar, preferably the low sugar version. Those things are Snickers on steroids. Taste great and nothing bad for you in them!You can get either at any larger Wal-Mart or health food store. I've also done a slim fast bewteen soccer games, but not BB, but I do almost always have one driving home afterwards. At the half I go with whatever they give us to drink... water or gatorade unless I feel like I'm really dragging and I'll ask for a diet coke at the half or between multiple games. I can handle that much caffeine. Like, Juulie, if I have a double header and think I need one I often grab a candy bar for a quick pick me up. I should have done that last night.
Also, are you sleeping well after games or replaying every call in your head all night long. The more you work the less you'll do the latter, unless you really blow something big ---then you'll replay it over and over if you are like me. Good luck, Tell us what works for you.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

I've gotten to be a big fan of vitamin water. The revive or energy flavors work well. I drink a 32 ouncer of one or the other on the way to every game. It fills me up enough to get through the night and increases my energy. Availability is a problem though. I don't see it too many places. In fact I used to drink a ton of it in Kansas City and I was in Iowa for 2 years before I found it here.