The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
No Energy

Often times, after a short night followed by a long day at work my energy level is less than desirable when it comes time to step on the court. I've been boosting my energy level with a large Snickers and a 20oz Mountain Dew which seems to work well but is not very healthy. Do any of you have healthy ways that you boost your pre-game energy level?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
For me, lots and lots of water all day helps. Keeps the blood pressure up a little. Also, keeping physically active through the early afternoon can help. Conversely, sometimes I find a 30-45 minute nape at lunch time helpful.

If you think the Snickers plus the caffeine is the only thing that is going to do the trick, it's slightly less unhealthy if you eat the Snickers in small bites over a couple of hours, and drink maybe a less caffeine and sugar in your guzzle.

On the other hand, a Snickers and a Big Gulp once a week isn't really much of a big deal health-wise. If it was every day, or twice a day, that would be different.

Last edited by rainmaker; Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 01:22pm.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Fruits, real juices, energy bars might all help. I would also talk to a doctor to find out what other issues you might have to deal with that could be a result of your lack of energy. You could have issues of sleep, general health and diet which a doctor would know much more than any of us here that are sapping your energy level.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

One of those energy drinks .... Red Bull e.g. sometimes knocks my cobwebs off.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Rock star, diet coke (becasue of the no sugar) and daily vitamin suppliments keep me wired. I take rhodiola on occasion before a game and it keeps me alert as a taxi cab passenger in Uganda.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:00pm
In Memoriam

I use greenies.

Works for me.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliOne
I take rhodiola on occasion before a game and it keeps me alert as a taxi cab passenger in Uganda.
And that's a good thing?!? When I was in a matatu in Kisumu (Kenya), I didn't want to be alert! I just hoped the death would be quick and painless.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, how my game last Saturday could have been quick and painless...
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
And that's a good thing?!? When I was in a matatu in Kisumu (Kenya), I didn't want to be alert! I just hoped the death would be quick and painless.
When I die, I want to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather did.

Not wide awake screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:48pm
Official & Member

I'm a proponent of a Red Bull just before game time. Add a pack of peanut butter crackers if ya haven't had dinner yet. This ritual seems to help me concentrate better, especially if it's a sloppy game. (don't want to sound sexist here, but private school 1A girls games come to mind)
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Check out the energy drinks, and try to find one you like. They usually contain various health supplements, and there are some that are sugar free, which is probably a better alternative than mountain dew.

The drawback is that they are more expensive....
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
I'm a proponent of a Red Bull just before game time. Add a pack of peanut butter crackers if ya haven't had dinner yet. This ritual seems to help me concentrate better, especially if it's a sloppy game. (don't want to sound sexist here, but private school 1A girls games come to mind)
... feilding their first team after opening the school last year! They a couple of Advil might make sense.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanrd
Often times, after a short night followed by a long day at work my energy level is less than desirable when it comes time to step on the court. I've been boosting my energy level with a large Snickers and a 20oz Mountain Dew which seems to work well but is not very healthy. Do any of you have healthy ways that you boost your pre-game energy level?
I drink a can of Amp atleast 30 minutes before the game and that helps me out. Usually, when I start running, I am okay.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

There is a drink called Spark made by a company called advocare. Go to www.advocare.com It is great and more healthy than the above mentioned.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Mountain Dew and Snickers is a glycemic nightmare. Try having fewer processed carbs in the afternoon. Sugar makes the insulin level go up; insulin makes you sleepy. Coffee and a low carb snack bar or a piece of fruit (fruit has a lower glycemic value than processed sugar) should do the trick for a quick pick me up, unless you are sensitive to caffeine.

Stick to whole grains, salads and protein for lunch. At any rate, cut down on the sugar, white rice and potatoes. Save those for when you're not trying to stay awake.

You also might want to get your blood sugar checked, if you haven't done that in a while.