The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
making sure I'm thinking this through right

A player sitting on the floor with the ball can not place the ball on the floor, stand up and then pick the ball up-- this is travelling. (did not begin a dribble)

If the above situation is correct-- then a player standing should not be able to place the ball on the floor, run around the ball then pick it back up; this too would be travelling--- not that I think this would happen- but this too whould be travelling??

ok strange monday morning for me

Stew in VA
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

let me ask you this -- a player is sitting and he has not had his dribble. he starts his dribble and stands back up while maintaining his dribble.

Travel?

A player starts his dribble however the ball counces funny and rolls down the court -- same player runs after it and picks it up.

Travel?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
let me ask you this -- a player is sitting and he has not had his dribble. he starts his dribble and stands back up while maintaining his dribble.

Travel?

A player starts his dribble however the ball counces funny and rolls down the court -- same player runs after it and picks it up.

Travel?
No legal on both
Stew in VA
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:06pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee

Travel?
This is a very different scenario from the one originally posted. In the original question, there is no dribble. The ball is placed on the floor, the pivot foot is moved, and then control is re-established. Is that a travel?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the first part of your answer.

4.44.5 Situation B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating?
Ruling: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

i would consider that his dribble -- albeit unconventional but how can you call a travel when he never had the ball?

he put the ball down -- no possession
he gets up -- and reacquires possession - if anything double dribble -- but thats assuming he dribbled or you didnt think it was a fumble (which it doesnt sound like).

jcarter -- nice citation -- i guess i would have been wrong