The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

How do I not miss the next one like this?

Y'all,

I kicked a block/charge last night...but I can't figure out the best way to avoid it in the future.

White was pressing Blue all night long. I was C, slowly heading upcourt just ahead of the ball, keeping my eye on the next line of defense. I wound up on the sideline, exactly next to the Blue coach. I could feel the ball coming up the sideline behind me, so I turned my shoulders to pick up the ball right behind me as we headed into the froncourt. The girl blitzed right by me on the sideline, and when she passed me, I turned my head and was surprised to find a defender there. I don't know if she wasn't there yet of if she'd been waiting for a half hour. Big collision three feet away from me...I had to call something, and I called player control. The coach in my hip pocket went ballistic, and after the game, partners said I missed it...the kid wasn't there yet. Point is, because I picked up the ball behind me, I wasn't in a position to ever see the defender in front of me. I couldn't move out onto the floor without colliding with the ballhandler. I guess I could have taken a step or two back towards the division line, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Was my positioning off? My decision to pick up the ball as C when it was behind me in a press situation? How can I learn from this one?
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 02:48pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggingRefGuy
Was my positioning off? My decision to pick up the ball as C when it was behind me in a press situation? How can I learn from this one?
There's a crash in your primary and you admit to not knowing if the defender had LGP? I'd say your positioning was off. Sound like you were too close to the play.

Be further into the FC as C and let the dribbling action come to you.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Yup...I admit it. It wasn't good, and I don't want it to happen again.

I see two ways of fixing this:

One is your way, JugglingRef, where I'm ahead of both the ball and the new defender. Problem is, that leaves the T with all the players in the backcourt.

After writing this out and thinking it over, I think I need to stay back more, closer to halfcourt, further away from that player on the sideline, so I can pick her up sooner. But a C behind the ball?
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Don't run with your back to the ball. Then, you won't be surpirsed by it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 03:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I think this type of play is rare. If you have the ball carrier, I don't think it's too hard for the T to have players in the BC. We've all done 2-man games where the off-ball official watches 8 players.

Imagine a half-court offense where as C, the dribbler comes to your sideline. You'll look towards the DL to watch this match-up, and cue from the T if there is a rotation in progress.

I guess if this match-up is the last up the court, that is, most players are getting set for the half-court offense, then I'd like to be ahead of the ball, maybe getting ready for the L coming over. If the dribbler successfully passes past this presser, and into the key, do you want to be far away as C?

If the match-up is the first up the court, then behind is better.

Either way, don't be too close to the play.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Here's what works for me: open up to the court so that you have better knowledge of the ball out of your peripheral vision. Since you're reffing off the ball, you should have good knowledge of where the defenders are. If the ball is coming on your side, be ready to position yourself like a trail and be ready to be on the ball when it crosses DL. This will put you higher on the court and in much better position to referee the whole play, rather than what you did, which was to position yourself to referee uphill.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Don't run with your back to the ball. Then, you won't be surpirsed by it.
Are you suggesting that he beckpedal? I used to do that until I got ripped at a clinic for it. I was told to run forward and watch with my head back.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
Here's what works for me: open up to the court so that you have better knowledge of the ball out of your peripheral vision. Since you're reffing off the ball, you should have good knowledge of where the defenders are. If the ball is coming on your side, be ready to position yourself like a trail and be ready to be on the ball when it crosses DL. This will put you higher on the court and in much better position to referee the whole play, rather than what you did, which was to position yourself to referee uphill.
I agree with opening up. If I'm in a pressing situation, and I'm the C, I open up and move laterally down the court so the whole play is in front of me.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the comments, folks. I've taken all of that into consideration, and in retrospect I've come to this conclusion: while my shoulders were parallel to the sideline, I think I turned my head and became too locked in on the dribbler...which is why I was surprised by the defender who snuck in behind my head. Next time there's a ballhandler on my line but between me and halfcourt when I'm C, I'll take that a sign to get behind her. Shuffling that way along the sideline would have enabled me to pick up the defender earlier. And if I wind up behind the T...well, this is a situation where the L should rotate anyway. If she/he doesn't, I'll adjust back to the more traditional C position as soon as I can.

I lived it, I learned it, and now I'm moving on.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggingRefGuy
Y'all,

I kicked a block/charge last night...but I can't figure out the best way to avoid it in the future.

White was pressing Blue all night long. I was C, slowly heading upcourt just ahead of the ball, keeping my eye on the next line of defense. I wound up on the sideline, exactly next to the Blue coach. I could feel the ball coming up the sideline behind me, so I turned my shoulders to pick up the ball right behind me as we headed into the froncourt. The girl blitzed right by me on the sideline, and when she passed me, I turned my head and was surprised to find a defender there. I don't know if she wasn't there yet of if she'd been waiting for a half hour. Big collision three feet away from me...I had to call something, and I called player control. The coach in my hip pocket went ballistic, and after the game, partners said I missed it...the kid wasn't there yet. Point is, because I picked up the ball behind me, I wasn't in a position to ever see the defender in front of me. I couldn't move out onto the floor without colliding with the ballhandler. I guess I could have taken a step or two back towards the division line, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Did the defender get hit square in the torso?

As C, with the play in your lap, how good of a look could L and T really have and should they have had a look at all?

As far as positioning, you either need to be in front of that hidden defender, or let the ball pass you and get the look from behind, thus forcing the rotation. Personally, how you described the play, I'd say back up, open up and let it pass you. That gives you the best look.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 09:23am
Lighten up, Francis.

If the ball is coming up your side of the floor as the C, trail the play; especially if there are other players in the backcourt. Just stay back, almost like a second T. If there are no other players in the backcourt, maybe you can rely on your T to grab the play.