The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Feeling better now.

I've been sick for nearly a month now but I'm better now. I was toward the end of my cold and didn't realize I had a sinus infection. That got cleared up when I got antibiotics for an infected toe. The last game for high school level that I did was just horrible because I was sick and didn't realize how sick. Between that, the toe and the snow I had my first games today in two weeks. I didn't do too badly. It just felt great to feel good. (Nice to know it wasn't "old age".)

The first two games today were 5th and 6th grade AAU. The first game went all right. A little chirping from one bench but that stopped when I turned toward them and said, "Enough with the reffing. If you have a question about a call, you can ask me."

The next game was a different story. One team had a huge player who had several inches over the other team's tallest. White seemed to think that they couldn't foul him. Hah! White coach especially didn't like a foul call that I made in the post. Tall kid goes up for the shot. White goes up with arms straight up but does a body check. I whistle a foul. White coach screams, "How is that a foul? His arms were straight up!" I said, "The foul was from here down." Coach screams again, "His arms were straight up!" I repeated myself.

Once he asked me over to explain a call. I came over and he crouched to talk to me. Isn't that odd? I had just called a foul on his players again when they fouled the big kid. (Two of them knocked him down.)

After one foul call he had a timeout. As I reported the timeout he started questioning the call from the huddle. I told him that if he had a question he would have to move away from the players to ask. He then turned to his players and ignored me. I went to position.

After the game (which they lost by two in the last ten seconds) I was waiting for my partner by the door. I was looking toward my partner to see if he was coming and this coach was standing away from the huddle of players, gesturing at me and mouthing something. Apparently the loss was all my fault.

Been a long time since I've had just a weird coach.

Rita
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Join the club.

I have had that 2 weeks of feeling crappy every season I have been a ref at some point...all you can do is drink a lot of fluids, get your sleep, then fight your way through it.

As for the coach...I've probably done 10,000 games and I have cost 10,000 teams their W. Wasn't thought of too kindly by the 10,000 teams that did win either.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 09:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
I had my first games today in two weeks.

Been a long time since I've had just a weird coach.
Two weeks doesn't seem like too long to me. . .

Glad you're feeling better, Rita.