The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 01:36pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Amazing what the last night of Coed league play will do to some players. Here's the situation: Bottom of the third, home leading by 13, 2 outs, runner on 3rd. Guy comes up to bat, walks. Lady starts to put one foot in the box and looks at me and asks if there's 2 outs. I told her 2 outs. She backs out, drops the bat, and heads to 1st. Catcher is also the coach and looks at me and says "she put a foot in the box, she's supposed to bat." I said, no, she has until the first pitch to decide whether she'll take the walk or not. Coach's scorekeeper in the stands starts to yell the same thing. I call time, walk over to the scorekeeper, told her same thing I told coach, and warned her one more peep out of her, she won't be watching the last game of the season from the stands. Game ends a couple minutes after that on 15 run rule.

I start to turn around and get ready for the next game, and the scorekeeper comes over and tells me I was wrong to let the gal walk to 1st base after she put a foot in the box. I asked the scorekeeper, "what rule are you applying?" She said I don't know, but I know it's in the book. I asked her if she read Rule 8 lately, and she was like, what's Rule 8? I said if you don't know, then you don't know the right rule. She turned around and said "**** you", and I replied, "I hope you enjoyed your season."

Got home, and looked at my ASA case book. Guess what? Exact same situation is in the book, and I had it right of course. I slept good last night knowing I could put someone in their place like that, especially on the last night of league play.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

yes its amazing what you hear from the stands ... USSSA 13U World Series title game in Garland a week ago ... for a second there were 2 runners on 3rd base at the same time,. one got back to 2nd OK but some moms were screaming at me that they should both be out for being on the base at the same time. of course after that they rode me the rest of the game - it was great!
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Guess what? Exact same situation is in the book, and I had it right of course.
The only thing I hate is that those folks are sitting at Bubba's Tap Room tonight and they are all griping about how wrong they were treated. They will probably continue to do that for years to come because they've got two things to overcome, first the ability to read and comprehend a rule book and second is to count to eight.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 11:12pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Dan,

It's too bad that ASA doesn't make a illustrated copy of the rule book like the NF does for their sports. That would help them overcome their inability to read at the Tap Room!

Brent