The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Uniform Numbers

I'm not making this up.

Had a JV game last week where a player approached us with a legal school issued uniform with different numbers on the front and back. You read that right: 23 on the front and 24 right there on her back.

We quickly dig out the rule book Section 4 and all it said was numbers had to be the same color and style.

We conferrred with the opposing Coach - no issue raised.

We discussed 'spirt of the rule". Since it was school issued we put both her numbers in the Scorebook (after verifying no conflicts with "single number players") and played on.

Comments?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
I'm not making this up.

Had a JV game last week where a player approached us with a legal school issued uniform with different numbers on the front and back. You read that right: 23 on the front and 24 right there on her back.

We quickly dig out the rule book Section 4 and all it said was numbers had to be the same color and style.

We discussed 'spirt of the rule". Since it was school issued we put both her numbers in the Scorebook (after verifying no conflicts with "single number players") and played on.

Comments?
s-p-i-r-i-t

And, on a different note, Rule 3-2-1 requires the team to supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member. That says number, not numbers.

Also, 3-5-1, "The referee shall not permit any team member to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/hjer judgment, is dangerous or confusing to the other players or is not appropriate."

Last edited by WhistlesAndStripes; Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 06:37pm.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
I'm not making this up.

Comments?

You did the right thing. Let the kid play, especially at the JV level. It isn't their fault that the school has a screwy uniform.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

I could see an issue with this here. The rule was cited--this could be potentially confusing to the other team. Somebody thinks they are supposed to cover 24--where is she? Who cares whose fault it is? Are you going to set a precedent and let it go so that if next week's refs don't, they have to hear all about it? Where does it end?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

The confusion point is what I'd hang my hat on too. Just get out the athletic tape and change one of the numbers to match what's on the other side of the jersey.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
I could see an issue with this here. The rule was cited--this could be potentially confusing to the other team. Somebody thinks they are supposed to cover 24--where is she? Who cares whose fault it is? Are you going to set a precedent and let it go so that if next week's refs don't, they have to hear all about it? Where does it end?
Well hopefully it ends with the coach or the A.D. who find a new uniform or some duct tape before the next game. I'm not going to keep an athlete from playing on a lower-level game because the school had a uni like that. Call me a softy, but sometimes common sense trumps the rulebook in my games when it comes to participation.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 09:08am
Lighten up, Francis.

Find the athletic tape and she goes in the book as 2.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

i am very lenient with undercall number issues -- i have let a 46 play once -- why because it was freshman. by the time some schools get past Varsity and JV the freshman dont have much choice.

the only level I am anal about the jersey restrictions are Varsity. of course I must add the disclaimer here because it is necessary -- the jersey colors must match (for the most part ) and the coach has to be nice enough to give me a high five.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Well hopefully it ends with the coach or the A.D. who find a new uniform or some duct tape before the next game. I'm not going to keep an athlete from playing on a lower-level game because the school had a uni like that. Call me a softy, but sometimes common sense trumps the rulebook in my games when it comes to participation.
How many times do I have to say this. We CAN'T use common sense any more.

OBITUARY: THE SAD PASSING OF COMMON SENSE

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouth wash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student, but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm A Victim. Not many attended - his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

W&S, Stop posting that tiresome bit! It is only slightly less annoying than your constant spelling posts. It contributes nothing to the forum.

I'm going to ask that the moderators delete your post everytime that you reprint that, but until they do I'm going to respond by posting the following:

2006-07 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

5. Rules Enforcement and Proper Use of Signals. The committee has seen a movement away from the consistent application of rule enforcement and use of approved mechanics/signals.
A. Rules Enforcement. Officials need to be aware that personal interpretations of the rules have a negative impact on the game. The rules are written to provide a balance between offense and defense, minimize risks to participants, promote the sound tradition of the game and promote fair play. Individual philosophies and deviations from the rules as written negatively impact the basic fundamentals and tenants of the rules. Officials must be consistent in the application of all rules, ...
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
W&S, Stop posting that tiresome bit! It is only slightly less annoying than your constant spelling posts. It contributes nothing to the forum.

I'm going to ask that the moderators delete your post everytime that you reprint that, but until they do I'm going to respond by posting the following:

5. Rules Enforcement and Proper Use of Signals. The committee has seen a movement away from the consistent application of rule enforcement and use of approved mechanics/signals.
A. Rules Enforcement. Officials need to be aware that personal interpretations of the rules have a negative impact on the game. The rules are written to provide a balance between offense and defense, minimize risks to participants, promote the sound tradition of the game and promote fair play. Individual philosophies and deviations from the rules as written negatively impact the basic fundamentals and tenants of the rules. Officials must be consistent in the application of all rules, ...
Doesn't my post say essentially the same thing? I think you're just jealous cause I post it first, and the spelling corrections first too.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 02:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Since we operate with assigners here, I'm letting her play at the JV level. After the game, I'm calling the assigner to let him know about it and find out how he wants us to rule on it in the future.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 03:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

Ignore list. Breathe easier.