The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 11:07pm
Veteran College Umpire

In the second inning of a FED game it was called to the umpire's attention that two players on team A had the same uniform number. This was not caught on the lineup card by the UIC. What's the penalty? What's the reference? FED.
It's that time of year!
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

This happens frequently in my area. Many varsity coaches send their 2nd & 3rd stringers down to JV to get some work. When these players suit up, they wear their varsity uniforms which may duplicate uniform numbers in the JV squad. The PU should pick this up on the line up so he can work out a tracking system with the coach. Here's a tip, if you arrive at the game early as you should, take note of the uniforms as the players are taking field practice or when you go into the dugout for equipment inspection (you do inspect the equipment, don't you?). Usually, the varsity uniform differs from the JV by color or shade. I just use "L" next to the lighter jersy number and "D" next to the darker jersy number.

As far a penalty, I am not aware that there is one for FED because of this problem of mixing squads. In NCAA and OBR/MLB the numbers must not repeat.

Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

FED reference

The reference you are looking for is 1-4-3

Penalty: Failure by a player to wear proper equipment after being so ordered by the umpire, shall result in ejection.

With that stated, since this is kids, and its not the player's fault for having the same number, I'd probably call it this way: If two players had the same number, one would need to change uniforms or not play. As long as he stays on the bench, I don't have a problem. He tries to enter the game, then we have the ejection. But most coaches carry a spare uniform in case blood soaks one or something like that. The spare uniform should work.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
In the second inning of a FED game it was called to the umpire's attention that two players on team A had the same uniform number. This was not caught on the lineup card by the UIC. What's the penalty? What's the reference? FED.
It's that time of year!
Not mentioned in FED. Names are what matters. Play on, but write the state to umm, put some pressure on the coach to get proper uniforms.

Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Question But it IS in the FED book!

Am I reading the wrong rule book here? Federation 2004 Rule 1 - Section 4 -Article 3... (3rd sentence)

"This number shall be in a plain Arabic style and shall be at least eight inches high, an no players on the same team shall wear identical numbers"

Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 09:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: But it IS in the FED book!

Quote:
Originally posted by blueump
Am I reading the wrong rule book here? Federation 2004 Rule 1 - Section 4 -Article 3... (3rd sentence)

"This number shall be in a plain Arabic style and shall be at least eight inches high, an no players on the same team shall wear identical numbers"

Is this something you want to make a deal over?

I use numbers for substitutions, but I certainly would notice duplicates, especially on the lineup card.

Tell the other coach. It's not like basketball where you have to record fouls. I've never seen this at the varsity level, and at the other levels it should be about participation, not a fashion show.

--Rich
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Its nothing I'm making a big deal over either. I just disagreed with the statement that this is not covered in the FED rule book, because it is. Again, there is no penalty listed in the rulebook, so this is simply a "don't do that" rule.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueump
Its nothing I'm making a big deal over either. I just disagreed with the statement that this is not covered in the FED rule book, because it is. Again, there is no penalty listed in the rulebook, so this is simply a "don't do that" rule.
I should have been more clear in my response. I was answering the question "What's the penalty?" when I indicated "Not covered."

If I thought the coach was trying to get away with something, I'd use the "unsporting behavior" clause. If I thought it was a mistake (JV player brought up, teams use the same uniform styles), I'd just be sure both teams knew.

And, maybe it was just a mistake in the lineup card "1. Abel #21, 2. Baker #21" -- just change Baker's number to whatever he's wearing and go on.