The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
We almost T'd the home JV coach on Tuesday. The AD said we did a good job of staring him down once or twice.
Staring a coach down?

Are you serious?
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Staring a coach down?

Are you serious?
Well, yeah !
I hear they do that in Portland, too.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Staring a coach down?

Are you serious?
JR, in all these years, you haven't yet mastered "the look" yet?

I got it down in my 3rd year i think, it was a while ago though, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

There was this coach, who I've had many dealings with in the past including a few T's, it got to the point where he'd earn a T in every game of his I did. And we kept running into eachother.

Well, this one game, he was chewing into my partner, who was a rookie, I'm across the court, and just stare at him as he's talking to my partner. He instantly shut up walked to his chair and sat down.

That stare has been my friend over the next few years, and I still use it today.

That look is one of our best assets, as it helps us avoid messy situations.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 09:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
JR, in all these years, you haven't yet mastered "the look" yet?
I mastered it, used it and discarded it. It got me into more trouble than it was worth. If you have a coach that's right on the brink of going off, sometimes the "look" is all that it will take to push him right over the edge. All it usually does is antagonize 'em and keep the flames going. You're also lowering yourself to their level too imo when you employ it.

If you want to really piss a hot-headed coach off, just be completely neutral with them. No arguing, no wisecracks, no yelling.....just show them that you're composed at all times, in total control of the situation and that nothing they can do or say can ever get to you.

You certainly should take care of business if you have to, but if you don't have to take care of business, then you're ahead of the game imo.

Personally, my warning is also a promise. Coaches learn that after a while.

All of this is jmo, and it might not work for everybody, but I think that it's worked for me. Of course, having said that I've also gotta say that sometimes it doesn't really matter what approach you take. You're gonna have to unload a player or a coach sometimes and there's really nothing that you can do about it. But I'd rather they throw themselves out of the game with their own actions, without being able to try and pin part of the blame on any of my actions. It sureasheck makes the report-writing easier.

Again, jmo.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pilo
In my first year of officiating I was working a G-JV game....the Varsity Coach was on the bench "just helping out"(He had a rep as being a yapper and no one really liked him, this I did not know)

Anyway about half way through the 1st quarter. he stands up and gets on us about a call.....He had been warned earlier.....I T him up.

At the end of the 1st quarter he standing up at the bench talking at me.....I just looked at him gave him the big stop sign and said that's enough coach....he kept at it so I ran him.........

At our next meeting it was announced that I ran this Varsity Coach from the JV game.......I got a standing ovation and became a legend all in one night......People still talk about it..........
I got one.

In my first year I was doing a JV boys game and some old guy was sitting behind the table making comments about the officiating. At one point after a call he stands up and shouts "what are you guys doing? Let them play!!". I had him removed from the gym.

Turns out the old guy was the varsity head coach and AD at that school forever. After the JV game he lets himself into our dressing room (his office ) and lets me know who's office we are standing in and who signs my checks in that office. Unluckily for him my partner and the 2 varsity officials were there to witness what happened.

I filed a grievance with my association including a letter of complaint to the school board and the assignor. 2 months later I got a handwritten letter of apology from the old guy. Still have it too.

When he retired the following year there was a big story about him in the local paper...what a great guy he is, role model for the student-athletes, blah blah blah. I was tempted to send a letter to the editor with a copy of his signed apology. I didn't do it.

To this day I have never been back to that school.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 12:26pm

Quote:
If you want to really piss a hot-headed coach off, just be completely neutral with them. No arguing, no wisecracks, no yelling.....just show them that you're composed at all times, in total control of the situation and that nothing they can do or say can ever get to you.
Finally, something I agree with. You're right JR, it works against you everytime!
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 12:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
That stare has been my friend over the next few years, and I still use it today.

That look is one of our best assets, as it helps us avoid messy situations.
I also use this on fans. I try not to address any fans but if they are just being too out-of-control. I will turn and eyeball the person and to my surprise, it has stopped the inappropriate behavior more times than not. However, that was not my reason for staring at them. I was marking the #%$#-fan that I was going to toss. Everytime they said a word, I would turn and look, looking for the perpetrator. Eventually, they quit going off and I just go back to the game. Now that I think about it, I have never tossed a fan. But I remember staring down a few and everytime I did, their behavior changed for the better.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Thumbs up

Ref Dan.

Outstanding my friend!
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:29pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

What Ron and Dan did in their very first year of officiating quite simply amazes me.
To have that confidence with limited experience is a gift.
They are obviously "Naturals".