View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

They just tossed the coach....

Working a boys varsity game last night about 80 miles from the ranch with a guy I've only worked with once or twice.

We got there early and watched the visiting coach get all over the JV officials. He was standing quite a bit (a no-no here, as only varsity head coaches get the 14 foot box) and was generally obnoxious.

After the third quarter, we went in to get dressed. The JV game was close when we went in, and the fourth quarter seemed to be taking forever, so I came out to see how much time was left. 2:00 and the game was tied.

Just then the site manager came up to me and said, "They just tossed the visiting coach." Really? I had yet to see a JV crew do so much as call a technical foul in five years in Wisconsin and I missed an ejection?

So I walked back to the locker room to tell my partner and as I do, I noticed the visiting team coach pacing the hallway.

Apparently, according to the site manager, he got tossed from the same teams' JV game 2 years earlier. And according to the officials, he had earned the first technical, and in response, the coach said, "You must be from (the home school's town)" and he got another one. Good ejection, but the first technical should've come in the first quarter, not the fourth.

Coaches were a bit yappy in the varsity game, but nothing sustained and nothing worth mentioning. And the ejected JV coach sat in the front row of the bleachers all by himself.