The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

They just tossed the coach....

Working a boys varsity game last night about 80 miles from the ranch with a guy I've only worked with once or twice.

We got there early and watched the visiting coach get all over the JV officials. He was standing quite a bit (a no-no here, as only varsity head coaches get the 14 foot box) and was generally obnoxious.

After the third quarter, we went in to get dressed. The JV game was close when we went in, and the fourth quarter seemed to be taking forever, so I came out to see how much time was left. 2:00 and the game was tied.

Just then the site manager came up to me and said, "They just tossed the visiting coach." Really? I had yet to see a JV crew do so much as call a technical foul in five years in Wisconsin and I missed an ejection?

So I walked back to the locker room to tell my partner and as I do, I noticed the visiting team coach pacing the hallway.

Apparently, according to the site manager, he got tossed from the same teams' JV game 2 years earlier. And according to the officials, he had earned the first technical, and in response, the coach said, "You must be from (the home school's town)" and he got another one. Good ejection, but the first technical should've come in the first quarter, not the fourth.

Coaches were a bit yappy in the varsity game, but nothing sustained and nothing worth mentioning. And the ejected JV coach sat in the front row of the bleachers all by himself.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Nice job out of the JV guys!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

What's the problem?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
What's the problem?

Peace
Oh, none. I've just never seen a JV crew around here take care of business. Most JV officials are local guys hired directly by the home team and most simply let the coaches rant and rave and completely ignore them, for better or for worse.

Mainly I was in the mood to tell a story.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Oh, none. I've just never seen a JV crew around here take care of business. Most JV officials are local guys hired directly by the home team and most simply let the coaches rant and rave and completely ignore them, for better or for worse.

Mainly I was in the mood to tell a story.
I know there was not a problem. I was just making light of the situation a little bit (I did throw out a Freshman Coach on Monday as well). If more lower level coaches got thrown out, it might help all levels of basketball when coaches are acting out.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I, like a lot of you, enforce sportsmanship a little tougher at the lower level. I still work a full Freshman-JV schedule as well as my full Varsity schedule and handful of JUCO games (I'm a single guy so I might as well be out there making some money doing what I love) and I probably throw twice as many T's in the lower level games. My only ejections in my career (1 coach, player and fan) to this point have all taken place in lower level games.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
If more lower level coaches got thrown out, it might help all levels of basketball when coaches are acting out.
JR a truer statement I have not seen in printed here in quite awhile!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I, like a lot of you, enforce sportsmanship a little tougher at the lower level. I still work a full Freshman-JV schedule as well as my full Varsity schedule and handful of JUCO games (I'm a single guy so I might as well be out there making some money doing what I love) and I probably throw twice as many T's in the lower level games. My only ejections in my career (1 coach, player and fan) to this point have all taken place in lower level games.
I agree with you. I also work 10-12 lower level varsity dates every year. I put up with less crap at those levels than any varsity or college game I will work. Case in point, I have never thrown out a varsity coach from a game, but I have ejected my first HS coach at the freshman level in about 10 years on Monday. Coaches at these levels need to coach more and when they do not, they have no idea when to stop unless you show them how to get over themselves. I am also not a big T guy. I usually do not have to. But I got tired of this coach yelling across the court and thinking it was OK. I tried to show him the way without an ejection, but I could not get it to happen.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

As an assignor did you have to send yourself a report?

I agree totally - you constantly see threads here about taking care of business - I guess that we are the only ones doing it - Those I seeout there who do not commmunicate with other officials sure are not.

Dealing with coaches and players at lower levels is like teaching little children - you have to be strict with them in their formative years - so that they learn what is acceptable behavior and what is not. Thus as the progress through the ranks they will mature and know how to behave properly, and which fork to use etc.

The same can be said for almost every point of emphasis we have seen through out the years - If it is dealt with early and often " They will adjust"
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I have even gone a step further. The only coach that I have tossed was a middle school coach that was making a travesty out of the game and sportsmanship. She was insulting to her players as well as to my partner and I. Early in the first quarter following a time out I quietly mentioned to her that we were in a small gym and that the sound carried well hinting she might want to calm down. First whistle after that she told her guard that we (the officials) were certifiable morons etc. Her guard was under the basket. That was her first. The second came about 15 seconds later. Still trying to calm her down as she was pacing on the court, I told her she had to sit on the bench, and get back to coaching so we could continue the game. She asked what would happen if she didn't sit back down. When I told her - she poked me in the chest with her fingers and said I didn't have the balls to do it.
She was wrong. After the game we showered and when we came out there were several parents from that team waiting in the hall. First thought was "trouble" but they were waiting to thank us.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 05:08pm

Quote:
If more lower level coaches got thrown out, it might help all levels of basketball when coaches are acting out.
Disagree, IMHO. Vertaran coaches know what they can and can not get away with. It also gets back to who's working the games. Some of us can put up with more than others. Take me for example; I can put up with a lot of grief, as witness to the way I am obstracized here on this forum. The problem is bigger than just ejecting lower level coaches. I think the problem rests more with the officials than the coaches at all levels. However, I will acknowledge this. A greater deed is accomplished when senior level officials like yourself JRUT go back and work lower level games. Too many of the officials that are working upper level ball, don't want to have nothing to do with lower level games anymore, IMO.

Last edited by Old School; Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 05:53pm.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Even I've never had to T up a Varsity coach, at least not yet, they usually keep their benches behaved, and themselves behaved because they have experience coaching and know that they're there to coach and not complain about me.

Although the other day, doing a freshman game, I had a coach who earned a T, first T all year I think, (It's been a slow year) every time I was down by his bench, I was getting, "they're travelling, every time up the court they're travelling...etc..." after about the third time of this, I waited for a dead ball, and went to chat with the coach, telling him that his behaviour was unsporting and that if he continued we would have no choice but to issue a technical. To which he replied, "If you'd just call the travelling we wouldn't be in this mess." (Loud enough for everyone to hear, I might add) So a no brainer, I whacked him.

He didn't say a word for the remainder of the game.

And as luck would have it, I was being evaluated that game. I got kudos from the evaluator on how I handled the situation.

The moral of the story...it never hurts to take care of business.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
In my first year of officiating I was working a G-JV game....the Varsity Coach was on the bench "just helping out"(He had a rep as being a yapper and no one really liked him, this I did not know)

Anyway about half way through the 1st quarter. he stands up and gets on us about a call.....He had been warned earlier.....I T him up.

At the end of the 1st quarter he standing up at the bench talking at me.....I just looked at him gave him the big stop sign and said that's enough coach....he kept at it so I ran him.........

At our next meeting it was announced that I ran this Varsity Coach from the JV game.......I got a standing ovation and became a legend all in one night......People still talk about it..........
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pilo
In my first year of officiating I was working a G-JV game....the Varsity Coach was on the bench "just helping out"(He had a rep as being a yapper and no one really liked him, this I did not know)

Anyway about half way through the 1st quarter. he stands up and gets on us about a call.....He had been warned earlier.....I T him up.

At the end of the 1st quarter he standing up at the bench talking at me.....I just looked at him gave him the big stop sign and said that's enough coach....he kept at it so I ran him.........

At our next meeting it was announced that I ran this Varsity Coach from the JV game.......I got a standing ovation and became a legend all in one night......People still talk about it..........
Never hurts to get a reputation for taking care of business, eh?
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
We almost T'd the home JV coach on Tuesday. The AD said we did a good job of staring him down once or twice. Varisty games for me!!!