The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

5 point play in NFHS?

On "Making the Call with Ronnie Nunn" the other day, they showed an unsual play from an NBA game and I was wondering what the penalty would be if this happened in a HS game.

A1 was near the low block on the right, driving to the hoop. As he shot, he was fouled by B1. B2 is on the opposite block and runs over to block the shot, grabbing the rim as he goes by it, then blocking the shot.

Would the penalty for this be:
count the basket, due to basket interference for 2 points
one shot for the foul on B1
another 2 foul shots, plus the ball for a technical foul on B2 for grabbing the rim to block the shot?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 11:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
On "Making the Call with Ronnie Nunn" the other day, they showed an unsual play from an NBA game and I was wondering what the penalty would be if this happened in a HS game.

A1 was near the low block on the right, driving to the hoop. As he shot, he was fouled by B1. B2 is on the opposite block and runs over to block the shot, grabbing the rim as he goes by it, then blocking the shot.

another 2 foul shots, plus the ball for a technical foul on B2 for grabbing the rim to block the shot?
Why are we counting the basket? You said B2 grabbed the rim and blocked the shot.

NFHS: Personal foul on B1 and Technical foul on B2 for grabbing the rim. A1 gets 2 shots for the personal foul. Any Team A member(s) shoot 2 free throws for the technical foul. Team A gets ball at division line.

NCAA: Personal foul on B1 and Technical foul on B2 for grabbing the rim. Any Team A member gets 2 shots for the technical foul. Then resume from POI, which is A1 on the free throw line (for 2 shots) with members of Team B occupying the lower 2 blocks.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 03:16pm.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Why are we counting the basket? You said B2 grabbed the rim and blocked the shot.
So this is not basket interference or goaltending? The only penalty is the technical foul?

What if the ball were in the cylinder? I didn't really notice, I'll have to check the tape later.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

I would think you would have a T on B2 for grabbing the rim. I dont think it would be BI because the ball is not on or in the imaginary cylinder. If the ball is on it was down or at its apex, then you would also have Goaltending.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

You CAN have a 5-pt. play though. Anyone know how?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:41pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
You CAN have a 5-pt. play though. Anyone know how?
Intentional foul on a three-point successful try. Makes both free throws...5 points.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

hmmmmmm let's see here......

I am guessing it involves a foul on a made attempt when the penalty for the foul is always at least 2 shots, and the ball nearest the spot of the foul
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Intentional foul on a three-point successful try. Makes both free throws...5 points.
DING, DING, DING, DING . . . THANK YOU! I kicked this one BAD two years ago. Won't ever miss it again though.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
DING, DING, DING, DING . . . THANK YOU! I kicked this one BAD two years ago. Won't ever miss it again though.
I'm impressed you saw it happen. That's a goofy one. I'm just mad I didn't check this thread and get the answer first.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
What do you mean you kicked it bad? To me, kicking it bad would mean not blowing the whistle at all. Just giving one free throw instead of two would be a minor kick; unless the shooting team was down by 5 and time expired while the shot was in the air.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I actually had this happen in a college game about 5 years ago. I fully do not expect to ever see it again on a game I am working.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 03:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I would think you would have a T on B2 for grabbing the rim. I dont think it would be BI because the ball is not on or in the imaginary cylinder.
Grabbing the rim while the ball is IN the cylinder has never been BI. The ball has to be on or within the basket when the rim is grasped to have BI.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 03:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
What if the ball were in the cylinder?
Again, grabbing the rim while the ball is in the cylinder is not a BI violation under FED and NCAA rules, and never has been.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Again, grabbing the rim while the ball is in the cylinder is not a BI violation under FED and NCAA rules, and never has been.
Thanks. I get confused by the conditions of the four articles of the definition, as some mention the cylinder and some mention the ring, but they're also talking about where the defender's hand is. I also misinterpreted "within the basket" to mean "within the cylinder".

Gotta learn how to read one of these days.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

5 point play???? A1 attempts a 3 pointer. While in the act of shooting, gets fouled by B1 and B2 at the same time. Shot goes in. A1 get one free throw for each foul, 2 total. The dreaded multiple foul penalty.

Also, if A1 attempts a 3 pointer, and is fouled by B1 and B2 at the same time, and the try is not successful, A1 gets 4 free throws, as the multiple foul penalty.

Of course, I did forget the 2 free throws on the coach after you attempt to explain this.