The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 10:11am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
5 point play???? A1 attempts a 3 pointer. While in the act of shooting, gets fouled by B1 and B2 at the same time. Shot goes in. A1 get one free throw for each foul, 2 total. The dreaded multiple foul penalty.

Also, if A1 attempts a 3 pointer, and is fouled by B1 and B2 at the same time, and the try is not successful, A1 gets 4 free throws, as the multiple foul penalty.

Of course, I did forget the 2 free throws on the coach after you attempt to explain this.
While very true by rule, if it happens, you better have a foul on B1 or B2. But I'm sure you know that!
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 09:39pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
5 point play???? A1 attempts a 3 pointer. While in the act of shooting, gets fouled by B1 and B2 at the same time.
What if he gets fouled by B1, B2 and B3 at the same time?
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
What if he gets fouled by B1, B2 and B3 at the same time?
Then he has no business shooting, because A2 and A3 are wide open!
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 08:59am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Then he has no business shooting, because A2 and A3 are wide open!
I completely agree!!
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I re-watched the episode, and Ronnie Nunn said the basket counted because the defender was holding on to the rim while blocking the shot, and this is goaltending.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
I re-watched the episode, and Ronnie Nunn said the basket counted because the defender was holding on to the rim while blocking the shot, and this is goaltending.
Must be an NBA rule. Doesn't meet the NCAA criteria. (Don't have a FED book on me).

NCAA rule Section 32. Goaltending

Art. 1.
Goaltending shall have occurred when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try and each of the following conditions is met:
a. The ball is in its downward flight; and
b. The entire ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder.

Art. 2. It is goaltending to touch the ball outside the cylinder during a free throw, regardless of whether the free throw is on its upward or downward flight.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That may be the case in the NBA, but it is certainly NOT true in either the NCAA or NFHS. Goaltending or BI would not be automatic because a player grasped the ring. The call depends upon where the ball is when either it or the basket is contacted.

In other words, these are two totally independent calls.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:21pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Jim, either you misunderstood him, or Mr. Nunn misspoke. Touching the rim while blocking a shot is not listed as goaltending or basket interference in the NBA rules (or there's been an unannounced change in the NBA's rules). From NBA.com:

Quote:
Section I-A Player Shall Not:
a. Touch the ball or the basket ring when the ball is using the basket ring as its lower base.
EXCEPTION: If a player near his own basket has his hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if his contact with the ball continues after the ball enters the cylinder, or if, in such action, he touches the basket.
b. Touch the ball when it is above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder.
c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.
d. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.
e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.
f. Trap the ball against the face of the backboard. (To be a trapped ball, three elements must exist simultaneously. The hand, the ball and the backboard must all occur at the same time. A batted ball against the backboard is not a trapped ball.)
g. Touch any live ball from within the playing area that is on its downward flight with an opportunity to touch the basket ring. This is considered to be a "field goal attempt" or trying for a goal.
h. Touch the ball at any time with a hand which is through the basket ring.
i. Vibrate the rim or backboard so as to cause the ball to make an unnatural bounce.
The first provision is slightly different from the high school and college rule; but it doesn't seem to apply to the original scenario.