The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Why won't they call the intentional?

I just don't understand this reluctance to call an intentional foul. It seems that there are quite a few officials out there who just won't call one.

I was stunned when the official in the Louisville/Marquette game didn't call one with 30 seconds left. Louisville trailed by six and was putting Marquette on the line. However, the foul that was made consisted of the Louisville player grabbing the back of the Marquette player's jersey with two hands as he crossed the division line! The action was so obvious that even the player on the receiving end turned around and gave the official the intentional foul signal. It seems that we have now reached the point where the players and coaches have become educated enough about this matter that that call is actually expected. Failing to reinforce this is an unfortunate missed opportunity.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

I agree. Towards the end of a game when intentionally fouling the opponents is likely to occur, there should at least be some semblance of trying to play the ball. In the case you describe the foul was clearly intentional and should be called. Not calling it gives an unfair advantage to the fouling team.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 07:48am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I think the perception that it only occurs in the final minute by a team trailing is wrong as well. I called one on a 2 handed jersey pull a few games ago and another when a player shoved a shooter underneath in the hip with one hand. The 'defender' never left her feet or tried to make a defensive play. Neither of these calls were in the final minute.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 07:51am
Huck Finn

From the beginning to the end of a game, when does a player accidentally have a fist full of jersey?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 08:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
From the beginning to the end of a game, when does a player accidentally have a fist full of jersey?
Amen!

It used to be an automatic intentional foul call under both NCAA and NFHS rules.

The POE written by the FED in the 2000-01 rulebook was never rescinded as far as I know----Acts that must be deemed intentional include grabbing/holding a player by the jersey in order to impede their progress".

But........
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:51am
Do not give a damn!!

I think in general officials are afraid to pull the trigger to make this call. Not sure why, but I have noticed in the last 3 seasons I have called almost all the intentional fouls in my games when they took place. I had a game where it happened to be on TV and there was a call during a transition period and in my opinion a pretty obvious intentional foul, but it was not called. I was so far away and second on the whistle so I let my partner take it. I was asked later by one of my mentors was I thinking intentional and in his opinion based on what he saw it was a clear intentional foul. I just think guys are afraid they might play a bigger role in a game than they want to. So you do not get a lot of intentional foul calls as a result.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I agree, the intentional foul (and sometimes the Technical) is not used properly. I don't think we should ever be afraid to call the intentional fouls if we see them. But I often look at games and se fouls I belive should be intentional. Swedish referees are usually very good at calling the holding of jerseys. Mainly becuse we were told to call this harder a few years ago.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I don't understand the reluctance to call the IF either. Easpecially when you know that they are fouling to stop the clock and the player does something that is obviously not making a play on the basketball. I have yet to understand why this call is so "taboo".
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Intentional. Does it have equal "weight" if
1) defensive player is aggressive when opponent trying to score
2) defensive player wants to stop the clock aginst an opponent that wants it running.

The rules are clear. The determination is the extent the defender goes/does not go - for the ball
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I just don't understand this reluctance to call an intentional foul. It seems that there are quite a few officials out there who just won't call one.
This is a very good question and here is your answer. The payload for calling this is too great! It puts the official in the I will determine this game if I make that call, which I don't think is that bad at this point in time in the game. I'm sure there are officials that will say they will call it each and everytime they see it. However, in actual practice, in reality, you see a lot of officials not step up that high.

Remember the reason why they changed the swinging the elbows to just a violation instead of a TF a few years ago. Because none of the officials was calling it because of the heavy payload at the end, technical foul when there was no contact. They downgraded it to a violation and the whole thing stopped, IMO. I mean you don't even see it happen that much in the games anymore.

I think the same thing needs to happen here, but that is jmo. I think intentional fouls should be kept to excessive contact and not minor, I'm trying to stop the clock type of fouls. This puts too much of the onus on the official and if I got a very good game, I'm waiting on the malicious act, not the I'm trying to stop the clock foul. All in all, the payload should be downgraded to just a foul and if the official deems it to be excessive and unnecessary, than it can be upgraded to intentional, 2 shots and the ball back. I am seeing players today hold the jerseys on rebounds, post-up moves, etc. I call it each and everytime I see it, but I don't call it intentional foul. I just call it a hold. Again, I am interpreting the intentional to mean something more on the excessive malicious act.

I have a bigger issue with officials not willing to call the excessive contact an intentional foul on the shooter on the fastbreak. Again, that's just my opinion.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I will put this thought out for discussion.

It's called this way because it is the way the coaches at the D-1 level want it called.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School

I have a bigger issue with officials not willing to call the excessive contact an intentional foul on the shooter on the fastbreak. Again, that's just my opinion.
The Tenn/OSU crew made this call in the 1st half. Thad Matta of OSU went crazy over the call but I thought it was a great call.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaRef
It's called this way because it is the way the coaches at the D-1 level want it called.
From the NCAA rulebook--Appendix III-Officiating Guidelines:
-Guidelines for calling the intentional personal foul are:
(a) any personal foul that is not a legitimate attempt to directly play the ball or player is an intentional personal foul.
(d) grabbing, holding or pushing a player away from the ball is an intentional personal foul.

The rules certainly support the grabbing of a shirt as always being an intentional personal foul. In real life though.......
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

The thing I struggle with is when to go intentional on a layup. Clearly any contact in the back here is intentional. But what I have trouble with is the strong down chop from the side that gets the forearms. The action is reasonable close to the ball and has a chance to dislodge it but doesn't really seem designed to do so, rather it seems designed just to stop the shot. Additionally this tends to be very forceful which raises the question what is excessive force?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
The Tenn/OSU crew made this call in the 1st half. Thad Matta of OSU went crazy over the call but I thought it was a great call.
I know this happened in the OSU/Wisconsin game. Did it happen in the Tennessee game as well?