The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:48am
In Memoriam

Goodwill, from an assignor's viewpoint, please don't do that. No good will ever come out of it and there's a chance that bad will.

Let it die a natural death. Leave it at the ball game.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
JMHO. I don't think we need to be communicating with coaches on a personal level concerning officiating. If we kick a rule or make some other kind of major mistake we should let our boss (assignor/commissioner/supervisor) know. I know I don't want coaches emailing or calling me concerning my officiating.
There's a gap here that I understand, having lived in six states.

In Wisconsin (where GoodwillRef lives), we frequently get assigned games by coaches and athletic directors (sometimes the coach is the athletic director, as well). Contacting a coach by email is not unheard of here.

When I lived in Tennessee, I'd never dream of contacting a school directly. It was unheard of.

Another regional difference, to be sure. That said, I wouldn't be emailing a coach to tell him we kicked one. I'd rather wait and tell him in person next time I saw him.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:03am.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
There's a gap here that I understand, having lived in six states.

In Wisconsin (where GoodwillRef lives), we frequently get assigned games by coaches and athletic directors (sometimes the coach is the athletic director, as well). Contacting a coach by email is not unheard of here.

When I lived in Tennessee, I'd never dream of contacting a school directly. It was unheard of.

Another regional difference, to be sure. That said, I wouldn't be emailing a coach to tell him we kicked one. I'd rather wait and tell him in person next time I saw him.
I started in that system and I still get games from ADs/schools/coaches in a couple of cases. I would never contact a coach through an email because it still can go very badly. Your email might be passed around to prove how incompetent you are. If you have a conversation with a coach at some event, that is a totally different story and more acceptable. It is not completely unusual to come in contact with coaches at other games or major tournaments or social events. I had a coach admit something to me during a Christmas Tournament this past December during one of those conversations. Email is just more permanent than a conversation. I would even be careful emailing an assignor because I have had this go bad as well. You do not want to get in a back and forth over something that may not have made much of a difference. If you kick a call it will not be the last time, so deal with it if you ask me.

Peace