The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Made the call...messed up the free throws... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30912-made-call-messed-up-free-throws.html)

Schmack42 Mon Jan 15, 2007 05:10pm

Made the call...messed up the free throws...

Made an intentional call, basket went in, only awarded one free throw...Coach thought it should be two..Partner and i both agreed it was one. "I know it always two unless missed on a three pointer"

Should i email the coach and tell him we made the mistake so he knows in the future?

Raymond Mon Jan 15, 2007 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmack42
Made an intentional call, basket went in, only awarded one free throw...Coach thought it should be two..Partner and i both agreed it was one. "I know it always two unless missed on a three pointer"

Should i email the coach and tell him we made the mistake so he knows in the future?

No, you should call whomever assigned you the game and let them know you kicked a rule.

Remember: Intentional foul=2 shots and the ball, even when the basket counts.

Adam Mon Jan 15, 2007 05:20pm

I wouldn't email him, but if you see him again on the court; I'd let him know.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 15, 2007 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef

Remember: Intentional foul=2 shots and the ball, even when the basket counts.

Except when it's 3 shots and the ball....

You knew that.:)

Raymond Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Except when it's 3 shots and the ball....

You knew that.:)

Oops. :( ...

Scrapper1 Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR
No, you should call whomever assigned you the game and let them know you kicked a rule.

I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I wouldn't email him, but if you see him again on the court; I'd let him know.

I agree again.

GoodwillRef Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:26am

Just curious, what would emailing him and letting the coach know that we kicked a rule hurt?

Raymond Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Just curious, what would emailing him and letting the coach know that we kicked a rule hurt?

JMHO. I don't think we need to be communicating with coaches on a personal level concerning officiating. If we kick a rule or make some other kind of major mistake we should let our boss (assignor/commissioner/supervisor) know. I know I don't want coaches emailing or calling me concerning my officiating.

GoodwillRef Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:39am

I see no harm in emailing him and letting him know that we are taking responsibility for our mistake. I believe this coach would respect you more if you sent him an email.

Raymond Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:44am

Quote:

I see no harm in emailing him and letting him know that we are taking responsibility for our mistake. I believe this coach would respect you more if you sent him an email.

I think it sets a bad precedent. You'll have that coach emailing you every time he disagrees with a call or doesn't understand a ruling. I believe those communications best left to the powers that be. You also take the chance of the coach applying anything you tell him/her as the official stance of your board/association.

Dan_ref Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:45am

Quote:

How do you know this?

GoodwillRef Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
How do you know this?

IMO, if you admit a mistake people actually think you may have some good character traits. Good character is usually good for an official.

Scrapper1 Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:54am

Quote:

I see no harm in emailing him and letting him know that we are taking responsibility for our mistake.

Then, by all means, go ahead and do it. Don't let the fact that nobody here agrees with you dissuade you one bit. :rolleyes:

Quote:

I believe this coach would respect you more if you sent him an email.
Do you also believe in dragons, fairies, and Jurassic's sense of humor? :rolleyes:

Raymond Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:58am

Quote:

IMO, if you admit a mistake people actually think you may have some good character traits. Good character is usually good for an official.

Goodwill, do you get your games through an assignor or are you hired directly by the schools?

Dan_ref Tue Jan 16, 2007 09:00am

Quote:

I think it's a mistake to say "people" will all react the same way to anything.