The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I have asked a similar question before but still request some feedback to get this straight. After a made final free throw I know they can sub for the shooter etc. How about annoying coaches who sub after the first of two shots and then decide at the last second to send in a couple more subs to the table as the guy is shooting the second shot? Is it ok to let them in after the made free throw? This could apply to subs for either team. I assume so, but why then do we try to get them in after the first of two shots in the first place? Some coaches are always trying to push the envelope of course etc. I am still confused a bit about this and still learning so appreciate feedback so I can get this right for sure. Thanks a lot.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vawils
I have asked a similar question before but still request some feedback to get this straight. After a made final free throw I know they can sub for the shooter etc. How about annoying coaches who sub after the first of two shots and then decide at the last second to send in a couple more subs to the table as the guy is shooting the second shot? Is it ok to let them in after the made free throw? This could apply to subs for either team. I assume so, but why then do we try to get them in after the first of two shots in the first place? Some coaches are always trying to push the envelope of course etc. I am still confused a bit about this and still learning so appreciate feedback so I can get this right for sure. Thanks a lot.
Assuming the second free throw is good let the subs come in.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vawils
Is it ok to let them in after the made free throw? This could apply to subs for either team. I assume so, but why then do we try to get them in after the first of two shots in the first place?
We let them in before the last shot because the last shot might be missed.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 06:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've seen a coach do this on every free throw trip for his team. He'd hold the player until we handed the ball to the shooter, then send him to the table. He wanted to set up his press.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I've seen a coach do this on every free throw trip for his team. He'd hold the player until we handed the ball to the shooter, then send him to the table. He wanted to set up his press.
As long as that player checks in before the dead ball that occurs after the free throw is made, the official should let him enter by rule. While it can be annoying, it is legal and as an official I have to let teams to do what the rules allow even if I don't care for it. I do insist that the coach get his kids over there in a timely manner, so that the game is not unnecessarily delayed. If he doesn't I just might miss a few of his subs.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 09:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
As long as that player checks in before the dead ball that occurs after the free throw is made, the official should let him enter by rule. While it can be annoying, it is legal and as an official I have to let teams to do what the rules allow even if I don't care for it. I do insist that the coach get his kids over there in a timely manner, so that the game is not unnecessarily delayed. If he doesn't I just might miss a few of his subs.
I thought it was actually a good strategy to slow down the inbound following the free throw. I never even question letting them in. It's the rule.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it is allowed and, as mentioned, is often good coaching strategy.

Where you must be careful is in who comes back in. Remember - if a player is subbed out during the FT's, he cannot come back after the last free throw is successful - he must wait until the clock is properly started on the inbounds.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I thought it was actually a good strategy to slow down the inbound following the free throw. I never even question letting them in. It's the rule.
Which is why, once again, the NBA rule is better. You want to sub? Do it before the final FT, so that the game starts right up again. No mini-TO after every FT. I hate that.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Thanks all - great responses and help.