The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Airball!

Would you warn give a 'T' if A1 shoots, misses everything, and three players from B bench say the infamous, "AAAIIIIRRRRBALLL!"

Just curious. Would it matter to you if it was loud enough for the opponents to hear it or not?
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 09:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I might say something to the coach, "Coach, a lot of people might consider that taunting. I'd rather not have to make that decision tonight."
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Oooh, Snaq, I like that one. I'm hope that I get to use that one before the season's over!
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Popped first Bench Technical this year along these discussion lines - less than three hours ago!

Close Boys JV game, District rivals.

Guard at top of key puts on a great spin move and gets the defender to turn a 360 and fall over like a rag-doll.

Happened in close proximity the offensive Bench, a bench that just wouldn't let it go with first laughter, then more, then fake laughing and pointing from a seating position.

Taunting is like the US Supream Court judge said about ponography - you know it when you see (or hear) it.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I like that one too, Snaq. Thanks! And in keeping with the mentality on this forum, RefDaddy, I have to tell you. . . .SUPREME
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Schmack42
I had a girl in a 7th game do it on a free throw, it was loud enough so the gym could hear it. She got a Technical.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Saturday NIght, boys JV. Visiting Bench in first half (located on front row of bleachers) started yelling and kicking the bleachers. Home1 made the first free throw. I just told the bench to knock it off. I don't want to hear that from the bench. The coach immediately jumped all over them. Handled.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Saturday NIght, boys JV. Visiting Bench in first half (located on front row of bleachers) started yelling and kicking the bleachers. Home1 made the first free throw. I just told the bench to knock it off. I don't want to hear that from the bench. The coach immediately jumped all over them. Handled.
What would you have done if the free throw was missed?
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What would you have done if the free throw was missed?
I already had my fist out signaling disconcertion.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I already had my fist out signaling disconcertion.
Agree.

Could you issue a technical foul in addition if the players on the bench persisted, and who would the "T" be charged to?

General question, btw, not just to Ignats.....
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Nice call Ig. First time, disconcertion. Second time, assess the technical foul for bench decorum/unsporting act . . . indirect to Head Coach.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 01:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Nice call Ig. First time, disconcertion. Second time, assess the technical foul for bench decorum/unsporting act . . . indirect to Head Coach.
Wrong.

Second time, call both disconcertion and a team technical for unsporting behavior on the bench. (no indirect to the head coach).

That was really not a fair question. The FED clarified the call in a POE back in the 2001-02 rule book, but never put in a case play or anything that would let people who don't have that book(which would be most officials) know how they wanted it called. The exact wording in the POE was "If persistent or deemed unsporting, the team/player may be penalized with a technical foul."
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I have to admit, I was uncertain about the disconcertion AND the technical foul, and I thought about it before posting my previous response. It does make sense though. Why no T on the Coach? Are they not responsible for the behavior of their bench?
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I like this, ignats.

I was watching a game before ours in a tournament a month ago, and the bench started doing this. The coach turned around and told them to knock it off. After the game, I told the coach that it was great to see him do this, as it teaches the kids sportsmanship. Wouldn't you know, in our game, our bench did the exact same thing, and I was able to turn around and tell our bench to knock it off.

Also, I hope most people don't have a problem with a T if this happens repeatedly.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Why no T on the Coach? Are they not responsible for the behavior of their bench?
I really don't know. To be consistent, similar to case book play 10.4.1SitD, you would think that the head coach should get an indirect "T" also. It makes sense. They didn't mention an indirect "T" in the POE though, which might have been a mistake. Who knows?