The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

Hi, I got into a arguement with someone about whether catching one's own airball is a foul. Can anyone give me an answer? And it'd be great if there is a written rule on line to prove it.. thanks!
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Except in the NBA, legal.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

It is never a FOUL. In the NBA it constitutes a traveling VIOLATION. In NCAA and high school play, there is nothing wrong with doing this. It is legal.

The NBA and NCAA rules are available online, but the NFHS rules are not unless you are a member of the NFHS, and then you can view the casebook.

Here is the NCAA clip, which you can find at: http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

BR-89 RULE 4-63/DEFINITIONS
Section 66. Traveling
Art. 1. Traveling occurs when a player holding the ball moves a foot or both feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits described in this Rule.
A.R. 35. A1 attempts a try at Team AÂ’s basket after having completed the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the ring or the flange or any other player. A1 runs and catches the ball before it strikes the playing court. Is this traveling? RULING: When A1 recovered his or her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There is no team control by either team when a try is in flight. However, when the shot clock expires and a try by A1 or a teammate has not struck the ring or the flange, it shall be a violation of the shot-clock rule.

For NFHS (high school) refer to 4.43 Situation B on page 32 of the casebook. It says almost exactly the same thing as the college rule, and it specifically states, "Is this traveling? RULING: No."
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Asking if this is a foul - that's a new one!

Does Tony still collect his five bucks?
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

I wonder if some members are really just fans pretending to be sports officials by seeking answers to their own questions. Maybe she/he is really a new official but it seems odd to me that a basketball official, new or vet would post that type of question.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:

I wonder if some members are really just fans pretending to be sports officials by seeking answers to their own questions. Maybe she/he is really a new official but it seems odd to me that a basketball official, new or vet would post that type of question.
What troubles me is the amount of bricks these people are hoisting up. What happened to fundamentals? If you can't shoot learn to pass.

Old Wed May 04, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Rules of Emphasis!

i wish in our state rules meetings we officials and coaches have to attend every year, they would put this up on the overhead and leave it there the whole time!!! there are so many coaches that don't have a clue about a lot of the rules and this is one of the main ones...i've given out T's for coaches arguing and arguing over this rule...and the other night i had to toss an AAU coach over it in a critical point of the game...he wouldn't shut up and stormed out on the court and everything...and afterwards he came up and wanted to talk, i handed him my rule book and told him what rule to look up, and asked him to read it, then i would be glad to talk to him! Then he was fine and apologized and went home.... we didn't have to talk about anything!!! He asked where could he get one of those books...i had to really try not to just crack up!!!
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Seriously, how can you teach somene something and not know the rules. That's like if parents didn't know the driving laws yet they were teaching their son/daughter how to drive. I cannot stand when a player/fan/coach attempts to tell me what the rule is when they are absolutely wrong.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by darknails
Hi, I got into a arguement with someone about whether catching one's own airball is a foul. Can anyone give me an answer? And it'd be great if there is a written rule on line to prove it.. thanks!
Yes, under high school and college rules, you can shoot an airball and catch it.

NFHS 4.43 SITUATION B:
A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling?

RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team control after the ball was released on a try.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe we can get the national television announcers to know the rules since that's where most of these yahoos learn them?
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

that is exactly right...those announcers start a lot of this foolish stuff!! seems like they would have to pass a rules test before they can talk about the game on national televisiion...hahaha
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Sheesh Johnny boy...lighten up on the poor girl, (anyone having "nails" as part of their screen name has to be a girl)
She obviously meant "violation" instead of "foul"...just didn't know the correct terminology.
At least darknails is "seeking answers"...many fans or even new officials might be afraid to ask because they think they will show their ignorance...and comments like yours doesn't do anything to promote questions from rookies or otherwise on this forum IMO.
Richland, WA
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 08:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Quote:

I had a partner ask me this year if they shot on player control fouls if the bonus was in effect. Of course, this is the same guy who brought up a wrong call I made a couple of games later. [The wrong call was not in the same game as the PC question, and a varsity official had already covered it with me.]
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Lighten up for what? You do not appreciate positive criticism? It amazes me how a male person rushes to judgment for the sake of flirting to a female. My fault for not looking up her/his user-names’ bio to read whether it was written by a male or female but I do not post replies based on people’s gender nor was the content to make a fan feel more ignorant than what they actually are. Maybe more often, members should proof read their written postings before actually submitting it. How do you know what she/he was really thinking? I am here to share and learn from others by reading what is written and not what I assume was written. Let us assume it was your fault she/he mistakenly wrote the word “foul” when she/he meant to have written “violation”. I thought it was extremely hilarious to read her/his post and I made a sound judgment as to who I thought the person might have been. While other members were very polite with a simple reply, e.g. “Except in the NBA, legal”, to me it was funny. Again, it sure didn’t seem like it was written by a real rookie or veteran official. Yet, more officials do not fully read their rule books, case studies or illustration hand books. And a fan doesn’t read squat-dilly. Besides, a user-name of “darknails” may have meant the person was a male who is employed in the construction field. You remember that old, old saying when you assume…

Have a wonderful evening, sir nose.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Have a wonderful evening, sir nose.
Lighten up, Francis.