The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

My second game tonight. A1 takes a shot (I didn't see who shot it, as it was outside of my primary as lead), has the airball, and (of course) catches it - easy "no call."

B1 (the captain - no coaches in rec league) complained about the travel from the airball, to which I replied "We're not in the NBA - no travel!"

The response? I have the rule messed up! In NBA, you can do this. In NF/NCAA, you can't.

At the half, B1 and B2 come up to me and ask. I explain the best I can in a minute or two, and offer to e-mail them after the game. Worst part - they are officials in this rec league .

Between this and the 4 T's I had tonight (tied my record; could have easily been five), I'm 95% sure that, even if I don't work IAABO next year, I'm not doing rec basketball games.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the complete rule listing.

Feel free to pass this on!!!

Relevant NFHS Rules
4-43: Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball.
4-40-2: A try for a field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three points by throwing the ball into a team's own basket. A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official's judgementis throwing or attempting to throw for goal.
4-12-3a.: Team control continues until the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

Case book plays:
4.43 Sit. B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim, or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? Ruling: No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team control after the ball was released on a try. (4-12; 4-40).

NCAA Rule:
4-64; Approved Ruling 33: A1 attempts a try at Team A's basket after having completed the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the ring, the flange or any other player. A1 runs and catches the ball before it strikes the playing court. Is this traveling? Ruling: When A1 recovered his or her try, A1 could either dribble, pass, or try again. There is no team control by either team when a try is in flight. However, when the shot clock expires and a try by A1 or a teammate has not struck the ring, it shall be a violation of the shot-clock rule.

NBA Rule:
10 XIV [The travel rule] (i): i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:54pm
Administrator

Mark, you cannot quit IAABO, we need you.

But as I said in another Discussion Board which shall remain nameless, I feel your pain.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I'm not in IAABO yet . My plan for next year was to get certified and work JH/JV games (with IAABO 12) and give up rec ball. Even if I don't work JH/JV games, I'm probably going to give up rec ball.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Good Call

I think your no call was good. Legitimate shot attempt can be caught be the shooter at this level BUT not at the NBA. Yes, I feel your pain. Rec league is tough but it can provide some valuable experience. Good luck!!!
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:51pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I'm not in IAABO yet . My plan for next year was to get certified and work JH/JV games (with IAABO 12) and give up rec ball. Even if I don't work JH/JV games, I'm probably going to give up rec ball.

Don't give up rec ball, it is paid practice. I still officiate jr. H.S. and H.S. CYO on Sundays. I assign both a men's rec league and a men's tournament and officiate a couple of nights over the course of the season in the rec league and a couple of games in the tournament. Like I said it is paid practice.

Board 12 is a great Board. You will like Jacky Loube and Al Battista.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio