The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Giacoma
First, the coach is communicating to get the call "correct" so, cut him/her some slack. Secondly, fix the error and tell the coach we will draw straws to pick which line to play in the 2nd quarter -then smile. It's just a game.
Okay... so being a coach, I have to agree with this - especially if the game is tight - an error could mean the difference in the game. That doesn't mean that you get to act like an a**, but some lattitude should be given - imho

Example - this past Sat we were playing a tight conference game - opponents are in the 1 and 1, and a foul is called on one of my girls... the scorer's table is yelling 1 and 1, and the ref signals 1 and 1 and is heading to the line. I'm yelling to the refs (as politely as I could) that I wanted a verification on the foul - was it a player control foul.. they just kind of looked at me and thought I was complaining about the call.. I continue - finally, I went to the table and asked them to hit the buzzer - it got their attention - I said I need an interpretation - this was a player control foul, no 1 and 1... they agreed, and they nodded and contiued. Now, I was pretty excited, I don't think anything warrented a "T", but I did kind of step on the floor - but as stated above - just to get the attention of the refs... I'm sure they could have called a "T", but I think they handled it the correct way...
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

There's a difference between "communicating" and doing what this coach did. Tell him you're reversing the original call, but now we have a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 03:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcginthy
Okay... so being a coach, I have to agree with this - especially if the game is tight - an error could mean the difference in the game. That doesn't mean that you get to act like an a**, but some lattitude should be given - imho
Unsporting behavior is unsporting behavior, coach. There are no mitigating factors.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Unsporting behavior is unsporting behavior, coach. There are no mitigating factors.
If the coach stands up and has a foot on the court while he is getting the official's attention, then by rule wouldn't that be a technical?

But if he is calm, and respectful, and reminds the ref it is 2 FTs, or whatever the case may be on a mistake like that, would you call the technical? I don't think most officials would. If the answer is no, then it definitely is a mitigating factor in not calling the T. Now, if the coach is a jerk, then of course I agree with you.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 01:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco
If the coach stands up and has a foot on the court while he is getting the official's attention, then by rule wouldn't that be a technical?
Is that unsporting behavior?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Is that unsporting behavior?
No, but it is a technical, by rule, if he is on the court, at least NFHS. I don't know if it is in NCAA, or if it is just not enforced.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Admitting error

Some years ago, as 'Lynn' was walking up the court past the visitor bench after a change of possession, the visiting coach was giving him an enthusiastic earful about a call he thought had been missed. Lynn looked at him, smiled, and said, "You're probably right." Cracked me up, and it seemed to work with that coach. He calmed down a bunch. I don't know that every official could get away with it, but Lynn has lots of experience, and is always calm and friendly.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 02:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco
No, but it is a technical, by rule, if he is on the court, at least NFHS. I don't know if it is in NCAA, or if it is just not enforced.
And your point is....

I was responding to amcginthy's post about agreeing with R. Giacoma that you should cut a coach "going ballistic" about a call some slack. Sorry, but going ballistic about a call is unsporting behavior. Imo, you don't cut people slack for unsporting behavior. Putting a toe on the floor isn't unsporting behavior, and it also has nothing to do with a coach going ballistic that I can think of.

Iow, I really don't know what point you are trying to make.