The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

A few years ago I was doing a boys freshman game; hotly contested for most of the game. Visiting team was pulling away in the fourth quarter, though, and had put their scrubs in with about 90 seconds remaining. Home team starts creeping back in it, and the visiting coach pulls the scrubs out after one of his kids gets fouled with about 45 seconds left. We’re shooting two, so the subs come in after the first free throw, and one of the scrubs doesn’t like being pulled so he kicks a chair and throws a water bottle onto the court.

Partner calls a flagrant T, coach apologizes and sends the kid to the locker room with an assistant coach. As we get ready to administer the second of the original two free throws, my partner says “two shots” to the shooter. As soon as he said it, he looked at me and we both knew he was wrong. Before he could correct himself, the home coach went ballistic. Partner walks over calmly and speaks through the coach’s antics, says, “Coach, we’ve got it handled. We’re getting it right, but we’re not going to have you show us up.” He walked the coach back to his bench while the coach stammered like a child, “but, but, but…”

Right now I’m not sure I wouldn’t T the coach.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I had this happen a few years ago -- a court with more lines on it than possible sports to play -- heel hits line, partner whistles a backcourt violation, realizes almost immediately it's an inadvertant whistle.

Coach said it happens a few times each season. Shrugged. Life went on.

I can't imagine a coach being a jerk about this. I wonder how a coach like this would act when he had a reason to be upset.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:32pm
Huck Finn

[quote=biz].. I think, in general, it makes the guys/gals in stripes seem more like people and not like the enemy.[/quote]

Yesssssss! From the mouth of a coach.
How many times today during normal conversations disagreements and so forth has anyone used a stop sign today? Didn't think so. Coaches are people and officials are people.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun

How many times today during normal conversations disagreements and so forth has anyone used a stop sign today? Didn't think so. Coaches are people and officials are people.
I put up the stop sign twice but I kept knocking my flat screen monitor over so I won't do it again.

btw Tom...you know what they say about coaches opininions, dontchya?

If you believe them when they say you're right....
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:22pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I put up the stop sign twice but I kept knocking my flat screen monitor over so I won't do it again.

btw Tom...you know what they say about coaches opininions, dontchya?

If you believe them when they say you're right....
Fortunately, or unfortunately, I'm aware of how flawed human beings can be so I don't believe much of anything. Think about what kind of trust issues I have since I work with most guys for the first time being new.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bgleason@neonin
If you later realize you had the wrong line, I would tell both coaches you made a mistake and put it back in play, like a do over. Don't make the same mistake again.

If you were correct, point out to the coach that he or she needs to pay closer attention.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleason@neonin
If you later realize you had the wrong line, I would tell both coaches you made a mistake and put it back in play, like a do over. Don't make the same mistake again.

If you were correct, point out to the coach that he or she needs to pay closer attention.
It's not a do-over. It's an inadvertant whistle which is handled POI.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I think the OP was asking a basic question about reversing a call that we (officials) would make in error. I don't think the OP meant would you go and reverse your partner's call.

Additionally, I cringe (inside) when I hear officials say, "We are going to work hard...", "We are going to do a good job for you" and especially "I'm doing the best I can..." I would say just leave those statements alone.
I agree. That should be understood, you'll do your best all the time. You wouldn't say, "Sorry coach, my heart's not really in it tonight!" Would you?
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I'm guilty

We all kick a call once in awhile...unlike coaches. I had a situation about a month ago in a boys varsity game that ended up going to double OT (I know, my partner and I screwed up not only once, but twice ). Anyway, with about 2 minutes left in regulation, Team A was in the bonus and shooting a 1 and 1. I was administering the FT and when I entered the lane I told the players that it was two shots. For whatever reason my partner did not catch my mistake. Needless to say, the shooter missed the front end of the one and one and the ball was caught be a Team B player who then promptly handed it to me out of bounds. Immediately the Team B coach realizes the mistake and starts to scream that it was a one and one. I know how we handled the situation, but I would be interested in how you would do it.

Even though the game went to 2OT it was some of the most fun I've ever had in a game. I would definitely take a few more like this every year.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 12:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Trigger, from the sounds of it, I'd have gone AP.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Angry How I respond to coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier
Here's the sitch. Girls varsity game in large gym that has regulation court plus 3 courts at right angles to main court. Gym also supports volleyball, kickball, God only knows what else. The result is that there are zillions of lines on court. Unfortunately, there is another line parallel to, and just a few inches from, the half-court line. Player in frontcourt dribbles ball just over bogus line but not on real line. Ref calls backcourt violation. Coach goes ballistic. Do you reverse the call?
First, the coach is communicating to get the call "correct" so, cut him/her some slack. Secondly, fix the error and tell the coach we will draw straws to pick which line to play in the 2nd quarter -then smile. It's just a game.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 11:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Giacoma
First, the coach is communicating to get the call "correct" so, cut him/her some slack. Secondly, fix the error and tell the coach we will draw straws to pick which line to play in the 2nd quarter -then smile. It's just a game.
Communicating != "Going ballistic"

Unless you're a coach yourself
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier
Thanks all. Sadly, the coach in question is a local sports legend (having played pro ball) and gets a little too much leeway at times.
This is why you penalize!
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Giacoma
First, the coach is communicating to get the call "correct" so, cut him/her some slack.
I hope you were being sarcastic.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I hope you were being sarcastic.
Seems to be a lot of that going around lately. The "hope," that is.