The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

When can the C make an over and back call?

I am working on a 3-man crew. I am the C and the ball is in my primary just above the free throw circle extended. A1 is dribbling the ball with lots of pressure from B1. The ball deflects off of B1's foot and then goes off A1's foot into the back court. (THE BALL WAS IN MY PRIMARY). A1 goes to get the ball in the backcourt. I whistle the over and back. The T comes over and explains to me that over and back is his call to make and he did not see the ball go off of A1. He wants to give the ball back to A. I asked him where he was looking? I thought the ball was in my primary. He said it was, but he has the responsibility and it is his primary to call over and back. I said I am not going to argue with you, but the ball was in my primary and it did go off of A1 last. He then invoked the I am the Referee for this game, it's A's ball. I believe C can make an O&B call. Does anyone else?? Or am I mistaken.

(By the way, we gave the ball back to A and discussed the situation at halftime. He wouldn't back down from his position. I had a whole another half to work and did not want any animosity on the floor.)
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
It is the T's call, but if you have information for him that will help him make the call, give it to him/her and keep going. Then discuss at next deadball break or halftime.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:11pm
In Memoriam

You have the best look on the "last touched by". Once you've made the call, all bets are off anyway, no matter who calls it. The T can't overrule you. Whether he is the R or not has no significance either. Once you've made the call, only you can change it.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 12:15pm.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Good call by you. You had definite knowledge that the ball was off A so they should have not gotten the ball back. Sometimes the C has to take this because if you don't there won't be a stoppage of play to tell the T who the ball was last touched by. My only suggestion is to make sure you fade back with the play so you have a good look at the division line when you make the call. Obviously you won't be able to see over and back from your natural C position.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

My answer - when you amke eye contact with the T and see where they are on it.

All officials need to get it right - balanced against assigned calls and areas of coverage.

Eye contact shows your T your aware of their existance - but if you haveclear and exact evidence - Make the Call.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

This was a great call on your part, I would make the same call everytime.

Your Trail has an attitude problem that need adjusting.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
I am working on a 3-man crew. I am the C and the ball is in my primary just above the free throw circle extended. A1 is dribbling the ball with lots of pressure from B1. The ball deflects off of B1's foot and then goes off A1's foot into the back court. (THE BALL WAS IN MY PRIMARY). A1 goes to get the ball in the backcourt. I whistle the over and back. The T comes over and explains to me that over and back is his call to make and he did not see the ball go off of A1. He wants to give the ball back to A. I asked him where he was looking? I thought the ball was in my primary. He said it was, but he has the responsibility and it is his primary to call over and back. I said I am not going to argue with you, but the ball was in my primary and it did go off of A1 last. He then invoked the I am the Referee for this game, it's A's ball. I believe C can make an O&B call. Does anyone else?? Or am I mistaken.

(By the way, we gave the ball back to A and discussed the situation at halftime. He wouldn't back down from his position. I had a whole another half to work and did not want any animosity on the floor.)
The referee tosses the ball. It doesn't give him the right to overturn your call.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Good call by you. You had definite knowledge that the ball was off A so they should have not gotten the ball back. Sometimes the C has to take this because if you don't there won't be a stoppage of play to tell the T who the ball was last touched by. My only suggestion is to make sure you fade back with the play so you have a good look at the division line when you make the call. Obviously you won't be able to see over and back from your natural C position.
You frequently have to help each other when a ball is tipped in someone else's primary. Big whoop, right?

Last week I had a ball roll out of bounds on my sideline (I was the lead, 2-person). I had a feeling it was tipped, but wasn't looking there as the ball was tipped outside my primary. So I got help. And life went on.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Good call. I'd do it everytime. The call is only his when the entire play happens in his view. When a situation requires knowledge of action from two primaries to determine, then either official can (and should) call it....and usually, it the official who's primary it started in that will have all the information.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
In a tough spot, you were the adult, and kept things flowing. Good job!

mick hasn't been around much lately, so I'll say it for him:

Get in
Get done
Get out.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

If the ball started in your primary and all the action with the ball happen in your primary, the C better make the call when it is obvious. It would be very hard pressed for a T to make a call they did not see or did not know why something happen. The T has this as their primary, but that does not mean that the C never can make this call.

Another situation that would be common for the C to make a call is when the ball is near half court on a press or trap, if the ball handler steps on the line or near the line (on the C's side especially), I do not expect the T to look through bodies and make this call.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
You frequently have to help each other when a ball is tipped in someone else's primary. Big whoop, right?

Last week I had a ball roll out of bounds on my sideline (I was the lead, 2-person). I had a feeling it was tipped, but wasn't looking there as the ball was tipped outside my primary. So I got help. And life went on.
Well said. That's the point I was trying to get across.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have no problem with you making this call in your primary. The T should have just left it alone.

If I am visualizing this correctly (and there was at least 2 more players on your side of the floor), the lead should have been in the process of rotating to give you help on the ball side anyway (which would have meant that you were becoming the T and your overbearing T should have been becoming the C anyway).
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If the ball started in your primary and all the action with the ball happen in your primary, the C better make the call when it is obvious. It would be very hard pressed for a T to make a call they did not see or did not know why something happen. The T has this as their primary, but that does not mean that the C never can make this call.

Another situation that would be common for the C to make a call is when the ball is near half court on a press or trap, if the ball handler steps on the line or near the line (on the C's side especially), I do not expect the T to look through bodies and make this call.

Peace

JRut,

This is a great point, the "C" can't run away when we have trap at the division line.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 01:29pm
If you need me, text me!

Quote:

You made the right call, it was in your primary. I made an over and back call from the same position (C) last night as the ball was quickly passed across the division line and then the player decided to pass it back to the guard in the backcourt (all within 5 feet of my sideline).

We discussed it at halftime and the entire crew was happy with the double whistle we ended up having.