The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Net Hung Up

A1 takes a jump shot from near the free thrown line. The shot goes in, but as a result, the net flops up on the rim and stays there. (It is not hooked, but just lying in that position.) Should the official: (1) stop play in order to clear the net; (2) allow play to continue unless and until the team whose net is flopped up on the rim requests that it be cleared; (3) ignore the flopped net altogether. Is there any rulebook, casebook or official's manual support?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The answer is your number 1.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckert
A1 takes a jump shot from near the free thrown line. The shot goes in, but as a result, the net flops up on the rim and stays there. (It is not hooked, but just lying in that position.) Should the official: (1) stop play in order to clear the net; (2) allow play to continue unless and until the team whose net is flopped up on the rim requests that it be cleared; (3) ignore the flopped net altogether. Is there any rulebook, casebook or official's manual support?
Unless Team B initiates a fastbreak after the made basket by A1....stop play, free up the net....then put ball into play with B throw-in from the endline....remember B can "run" the baseline once you administer the throw-in. If team B is in a fastbreak....wait till first dead ball to take care of the net.

Don't have my books....but can't remember....other than maybe Casebook....that there may be this situation. I'll see if I can find it....unless someone else posts it
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
The answer is your number 1.
Juulie, are you attempting to rustle a certain, little, short, referee to come out of hiding? I was just reading this old thread this morning. Mr. AnnoyingGrammarGuy sure got riled up during this session.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Juulie, are you attempting to rustle a certain, little, short, referee to come out of hiding? I was just reading this old thread this morning. Mr. AnnoyingGrammarGuy sure got riled up during this session.
Heck no!! I miss him a lot around here, things just are too tall without him, but I understand his reasons for going "into hiding" and I certainly don't want to interfere with those!!

And for the record, I agree with him. But I don't want to argue about it. So I took the easy way out.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Play on. There's no rules support for stopping play under either Fed or NCAA.

I don't know if its still there, but there was either a case play or something in the back of the old Fed books in the comments section that addressed this. It said to handle it (i.e. change nets) in warm-ups if possible, but if not continue on.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Play on. There's no rules support for stopping play under either Fed or NCAA.
Bingo.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

I must admit I have the bad habit of stopping play immediately even though one of my most respected mentors has always told me and my peers to play on.

It something I need to condition myself to stop doing.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

By rule or the lack of a rule or procedure, you are not supposed to stop play on a hung net.

I had a VB game earlier this year and my partner had been watching the nets in warmups and said to me that the nets to to get hung and told me DO NOT stop play for this. I did not question him at the time just said o.k.

Sure enough, the net gets hung early in the game and I stopped play - there was no full court press or fast break - and fixed the nets. He was not happy with me. But, he got over it.

Was I wrong?

Last edited by Johnny Ringo; Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 05:55pm.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

I actually talk about this in pregame with my crew. I have some partners who feel strongly that we should stop the game and others who feel equally strongly that we should not.
We make a decision how we are going to handle it that night and then stay consistent.

Personally, I believe that an immediate stoppage is the way to go as the basket does not meet the requirements of 1-10-1 with the net in that position. It is to be "suspended beneath the ring."
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I actually talk about this in pregame with my crew. I have some partners who feel strongly that we should stop the game and others who feel equally strongly that we should not.
We make a decision how we are going to handle it that night and then stay consistent.

Personally, I believe that an immediate stoppage is the way to go as the basket does not meet the requirements of 1-10-1 with the net in that position. It is to be "suspended beneath the ring."
That decides it for me. I will stop everytime based on that rule. Thanks NevadaRef, you always bring it!
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

A couple of years ago the NF put out a ruling that said we should only stop this maybe the first or second time it happens. If it continues to happen the NF said to not stop play all game for this reason. The main remedy they suggested was to have the net changed. Now this was in their NF Guidebook that is produced every year. I believe this was about 2 years old. Not sure that ruling still applies, but that is the last I heard someone mention it.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:47pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
By rule or the lack of a rule or procedure, you are not supposed to stop play on a hung net.

I had a VB game earlier this year and my partner had been watching the nest in warmups and said to me that the nets to to get hung and told me DO NOT stop play for this. I did not question him at the time just said o.k.

Sure enough, the net gets hung early in the game and I stopped play - there was no full court press or fast break - and fixed the nest. He was not happy with me. But, he got over it.

Was I wrong?
I hope whatever was living in the nest thanked you after the game.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
A couple of years ago the NF put out a ruling that said we should only stop this maybe the first or second time it happens. If it continues to happen the NF said to not stop play all game for this reason. The main remedy they suggested was to have the net changed. Now this was in their NF Guidebook that is produced every year. I believe this was about 2 years old. Not sure that ruling still applies, but that is the last I heard someone mention it.

Peace
O' irony of ironies! Rut is quoting an old ruling by the NFHS which is not in a current book.

PS Whatever was put out if it was by the NFHS, I believe it was a lot more than two years ago. Perhaps what you saw came from the IHSA.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 06:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Seeing your in your usual "literal" mood, Nevada, after stopping play why don't you also give the shooter a technical foul for delaying the game by causing the net to hang up? That's what rule 10-3-6(a) says, and applying that rule makes just as much sense as trying to apply 1-10-1.