The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
so you are saying that A will now have the opportunity to complete the throw in, and retain the arrow????? or would you have them switch the arrow after the "legally" completed throw in
As currently written Team A would lose the arrow because Team B touched the ball, albeit by kicking it.

I want the rule to be revised that the throw in ends when the ball is LEGALLY touched. Now it states that the throw in ends when the ball is touched. So if Team A is making an AP throw in and Team B kicks the initial throw, Team A now has a throw in for the violation and retains the arrow. A team can not lose the arrow unless that team violates. This is how the rule is administered in the NCAA.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ref2b
As currently written Team A would lose the arrow because Team B touched the ball, albeit by kicking it.

I want the rule to be revised that the throw in ends when the ball is LEGALLY touched. Now it states that the throw in ends when the ball is touched. So if Team A is making an AP throw in and Team B kicks the initial throw, Team A now has a throw in for the violation and retains the arrow. A team can not lose the arrow unless that team violates. This is how the rule is administered in the NCAA.
so you are in essence saying that A will get the throw in because of the kicked ball now. When that throw in is completed, they also will keep the arrow?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
so you are in essence saying that A will get the throw in because of the kicked ball now. When that throw in is completed, they also will keep the arrow?
Yes. They are now making a throw in for the kicking violation. Since the AP throw in was not "legally" touched on the court it never ended. Team A retains the arrow for the next AP throw in
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ref2b
Yes. They are now making a throw in for the kicking violation. Since the AP throw in was not "legally" touched on the court it never ended. Team A retains the arrow for the next AP throw in
I agree that they shouldn't lose the arrow as it pertains to that individual throw in. However when they succesfully complete the "2nd" throw in the arrow should be switched. By not switching the arrow you are in essence punishing be for playing defense. Yes, I agree kicking the ball is a violation, but it is still a defensive play that I don't think should be penalized doubly. Keep the arrow until you complete a throw in, but switch it at that point. IMHO
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate eveyones opinion and input. I have submitted this to both the FHSAA and NFHS. We will have to wait and see.

Happy New Years to everyone. Wishing all a lenghty post season
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

What is this, a hit and run?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I agree that they shouldn't lose the arrow as it pertains to that individual throw in. However when they succesfully complete the "2nd" throw in the arrow should be switched. By not switching the arrow you are in essence punishing be for playing defense. Yes, I agree kicking the ball is a violation, but it is still a defensive play that I don't think should be penalized doubly. Keep the arrow until you complete a throw in, but switch it at that point. IMHO
Hey!!! Isn't that what I said?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Hey!!! Isn't that what I said?
yep it is, I was just getting clarification from D12b that he thought they should keep the ball (I agree) and the arrow (I disagree ) LOL
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

what a waste of time and virtual space -- how is this an issue -- way to overthink something that common sense would naturally clear up...

does anyone have a few extra Darwin awards to hand out here I will never get this time back -- maybe i should file something with some acronym type organization
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

So you are saying that if the defense kicks the ball on the AP throw in, Team A now gets the throw by way of violation and the previous AP throw in is now ignored so the Arrow stays in the direction of team A? That seems like you are now punishing team B.