The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 09:49pm
Official & Member

Punching the ball

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'd like to hear other takes. I called a punched ball violation for the first time tonight. Boys V tournament. Player A1 sees a team mate flashing ahead for a fast break. Player A1 punches a loose ball ahead to him. I'm at C in transition....TWEET! Violation. Whole gym is wondering out loud what the call was. Offending coach tells me later..."That's a great call. We've been doing it all season and nobody has called it." Is there a reason no one is calling it? Is this one that usually gets ignored? Am I being nit-picky here?

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Fri Dec 29, 2006 at 10:04pm.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I just don't see it done. It's kind of an obscure call since it rarely happens, and maybe a lot of refs don't know about the rule. Not sure why it's not getting called. Good call.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

RULE 9, SECTION 4 TRAVEL, KICK, FIST
A player shall not travel with the ball, as in 4-44, intentionally kick it, as in 4-29, strike it with the fist or cause it to enter and pass through the basket from below.

Good call.

Sadly, I believe that many officials simply don't know that this action is illegal.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

I called this about 2 weeks ago for the first time ever. You just don't see it happen. The offending coach said "I coach my kids to do that and I've never seen it called in 20+ years."
Once he realized that I was sure it was a violation, he dropped it and we played on.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

???

What advantage is gained by striking it? Distance? I would think that it's not a very accurate means of moving the ball.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Offending coach says he has been doing that all season???

Whatever, in 16 years of calling games - I have had it twice!
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
What advantage is gained by striking it? Distance? I would think that it's not a very accurate means of moving the ball.
Advantage vs Disadvantage. Hitting is quicker then having to "push" the ball up court with your hand. You can get more power with a fist which means you can get the ball down the court quicker.

Great call!
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I've had it explained that a closed fist punch allows the ball to be dislodged from an opponent's grasp easier than other methods and that along with the associated danger of throwing punches (even if directed at the ball) are the primary reasons the action became a violation. I could be wrong in saying that was the original reason for the rule, but it makes sense for me.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

I called it once, during my first year of varsity basketball. I've never called....ur, I mean, seen it again.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 02:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
I've had it explained that a closed fist punch allows the ball to be dislodged from an opponent's grasp easier than other methods and that along with the associated danger of throwing punches (even if directed at the ball) are the primary reasons the action became a violation. I could be wrong in saying that was the original reason for the rule, but it makes sense for me.
That very reason was listed in a POE many, many moons ago as the reason the rule was implemented.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 02:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I called it once, during my first year of varsity basketball. I've never called....ur, I mean, seen it again.
I've called it a few times when the swing ended up just too close to an opponent. It's the same concept as the (now) "elbow" violation.

I've also called it in football on defenders trying to punch the ball out, but getting the ball carrier instead. As you know, they use the same excuse too--"I was just going for the ball".