The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

player with blood

I need help on a situation that happened in a game tonight. Player was at FT line to shoot 2 free throws. Before the first ft, one of my partners noticed that the shooter's knee was bleeding. The Coach was told that he could call a time out to fix the problem or he could replace the shooter. He decided to replace the shooter with a substitute. After the substitute player shot the first free throw, the bleeding player (now with band-aid) was back at the table ready to check-in.
I determined that since a time-out had not been used to "buy" the bleeding player back into the game that the player would not be eligible to re-enter the game (and thus was not eligible to shoot the second free throw) until time had run off of the clock.
Was this administered correctly?
Thanks!
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 12:38am
We don't rent pigs

You are correct. 3-3-4 reads: A player who has been replaced or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc/nc ref
I need help on a situation that happened in a game tonight. Player was at FT line to shoot 2 free throws. Before the first ft, one of my partners noticed that the shooter's knee was bleeding. The Coach was told that he could call a time out to fix the problem or he could replace the shooter. He decided to replace the shooter with a substitute. After the substitute player shot the first free throw, the bleeding player (now with band-aid) was back at the table ready to check-in.
I determined that since a time-out had not been used to "buy" the bleeding player back into the game that the player would not be eligible to re-enter the game (and thus was not eligible to shoot the second free throw) until time had run off of the clock.
Was this administered correctly?
Thanks!
Yes, you did it correctly.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't he have the option of slapping a band aid on it without doing either if they can do it without an unnecessary delay? There would be no more delay in that than to get a sub for him.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
MJT
Doesn't he have the option of slapping a band aid on it without doing either if they can do it without an unnecessary delay? There would be no more delay in that than to get a sub for him.
If the official directs a player to leave for bleeding, one of two options are available:

1: Coach calls time to "buy" him back in if he gets the blood stopped in the allowed time.
2. Sub replaces player until next dead ball.

Either way, that kid is leaving the floor until the blood is stopped!!!!
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinRef
If the official directs a player to leave for bleeding, one of two options are available:

1: Coach calls time to "buy" him back in if he gets the blood stopped in the allowed time.
2. Sub replaces player until next dead ball.

Either way, that kid is leaving the floor until the blood is stopped!!!!
Not necessarily - the clock rule is what is in effect here. (Remember, the ball will become dead after the 1st FT.)