The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   player with blood (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30506-player-blood.html)

sc/nc ref Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:15am

player with blood

I need help on a situation that happened in a game tonight. Player was at FT line to shoot 2 free throws. Before the first ft, one of my partners noticed that the shooter's knee was bleeding. The Coach was told that he could call a time out to fix the problem or he could replace the shooter. He decided to replace the shooter with a substitute. After the substitute player shot the first free throw, the bleeding player (now with band-aid) was back at the table ready to check-in.
I determined that since a time-out had not been used to "buy" the bleeding player back into the game that the player would not be eligible to re-enter the game (and thus was not eligible to shoot the second free throw) until time had run off of the clock.
Was this administered correctly?
Thanks!

just another ref Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:38am

You are correct. 3-3-4 reads: A player who has been replaced or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc/nc ref
I need help on a situation that happened in a game tonight. Player was at FT line to shoot 2 free throws. Before the first ft, one of my partners noticed that the shooter's knee was bleeding. The Coach was told that he could call a time out to fix the problem or he could replace the shooter. He decided to replace the shooter with a substitute. After the substitute player shot the first free throw, the bleeding player (now with band-aid) was back at the table ready to check-in.
I determined that since a time-out had not been used to "buy" the bleeding player back into the game that the player would not be eligible to re-enter the game (and thus was not eligible to shoot the second free throw) until time had run off of the clock.
Was this administered correctly?
Thanks!

Yes, you did it correctly.

MJT Fri Dec 29, 2006 01:14am

Doesn't he have the option of slapping a band aid on it without doing either if they can do it without an unnecessary delay? There would be no more delay in that than to get a sub for him.

FishinRef Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:44am

Quote:

MJT
Doesn't he have the option of slapping a band aid on it without doing either if they can do it without an unnecessary delay? There would be no more delay in that than to get a sub for him.
If the official directs a player to leave for bleeding, one of two options are available:

1: Coach calls time to "buy" him back in if he gets the blood stopped in the allowed time.
2. Sub replaces player until next dead ball.

Either way, that kid is leaving the floor until the blood is stopped!!!!

Mark Dexter Fri Dec 29, 2006 07:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishinRef
If the official directs a player to leave for bleeding, one of two options are available:

1: Coach calls time to "buy" him back in if he gets the blood stopped in the allowed time.
2. Sub replaces player until next dead ball.

Either way, that kid is leaving the floor until the blood is stopped!!!!

Not necessarily - the clock rule is what is in effect here. (Remember, the ball will become dead after the 1st FT.)