The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

The Perfect Game

I love basketball.

This is my first year as a registered official. I know that I have many mistakes in my future if I am ever to achieve my goals of becoming a good official.

So far, I have had both good games and bad games.

If you were granted one wish and you wished for the perfect game, how would you describe it?

Would it be perfect sportsmanship by both players and coaches?, A close contest that does or doesn't go into overtime?, Every call and mechanic right?, A great partner?, A State Championship?, Fastest game with the biggest paycheck?

How would you describe your perfect game?
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 09:01am
Courageous When Prudent

A game 5 minutes from my house and one team doesn't show up so the game is declared a forfeit but I still get paid.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

My partner[s] and I are both alert and atune to the details of the game, enjoying especially good communications among the crew - and who cares what the fans/coaches/players say or think... when the game is over, the teams walk away talking about their performance and the crew walks away satisfied with our performance. Next game is a new game.

I'm glad you are enjoying your first year - you should enjoy next year even more if you accept criticism from other officials and always work to improve your performance. This is only my third year but improvement in my own performance and increased knowledge of the game [factors which are inextricably linked] from year-to-year are what I expect to be key ingredients towards continuing to enjoy the current year more than the previous year.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Perfect game for me?

- School game: Coaches coach their players and otherwise shut the #&@! up.

- Rec: Cash league, 2 games, 2 forfiets, a strip club next door.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 07:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
a strip club next door.
Around here, we refer to those places as "The Dollar Store".
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Full court press ( we can walk the ball up) no fouls, only violations, NO TO's issued, and zone defense. Wouldn't this game be easy then?
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

The perfect game doesn't exist, the great game does. Of course, so does the "crappy game." (feel free to fill in appropriate expletives, if necessary) I want to walk out of the gym knowing that I had my best stuff, gave my best effort, worked hard, made the tough calls, and communicated well with players and coaches. At that point I can walk out of a gym satisfied with my effort. Repeat process 150-200 times each season.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Ref
I love basketball.

This is my first year as a registered official. I know that I have many mistakes in my future if I am ever to achieve my goals of becoming a good official.

So far, I have had both good games and bad games.

If you were granted one wish and you wished for the perfect game, how would you describe it?

Would it be perfect sportsmanship by both players and coaches?, A close contest that does or doesn't go into overtime?, Every call and mechanic right?, A great partner?, A State Championship?, Fastest game with the biggest paycheck?

How would you describe your perfect game?
Both coaches coach, all players talk to their own team, foul count 0-0 the whole game and we get paid on the spot!
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Someday you'll work a game, probably not in your first year, when you feel great about every call you whistle and every call you pass on, when the players play well and the game is close, when the fans in a packed gym are loud and supportive rather than critical, when you know you and your partner are covering the court properly, when your signals and reporting are sharp and clear, and when you leave the court you say to yourself "that was great!".

(Gee, that is one long sentence.)
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
The perfect game doesn't exist, the great game does. Of course, so does the "crappy game." (feel free to fill in appropriate expletives, if necessary) I want to walk out of the gym knowing that I had my best stuff, gave my best effort, worked hard, made the tough calls, and communicated well with players and coaches. At that point I can walk out of a gym satisfied with my effort. Repeat process 150-200 times each season.
I agree 100%. I would only add, that all this would happen with a really great partner, and my assignor would be watching!
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:31am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I agree 100%. I would only add, that all this would happen with a really great partner, and my assignor would be watching!
Juulie, when we work together it does, and I am.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Juulie, when we work together it does, and I am.
Juulie, you forgot to mention that the seams on your, and your partner's, fishnets are straight.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Yeah, I forgot to mention the GREAT partner(s) part. Sorry. Of course, my assignor would find something to critique.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 05:44pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
Someday you'll work a game, probably not in your first year, when you feel great about every call you whistle and every call you pass on, when the players play well and the game is close, when the fans in a packed gym are loud and supportive rather than critical, when you know you and your partner are covering the court properly, when your signals and reporting are sharp and clear, and when you leave the court you say to yourself "that was great!".

(Gee, that is one long sentence.)
Wow! I bet there are assigners and officials at every level that will tell you that when this happens you might as well hang your whistle up and never officiate again. In other words, it ain't gonna happen!

I like games where the crew is cohesive, all kinds of things happen and we are on it the right way. An easy game is good money, but boring.