The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 20, 2002, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Had the number 2 team in the country today and almost had another perfect game. Visitors got their first base hit with one out in the 7th.

Time for dinner, I'll add more to this later. Call me lots of things, but not late for dinner...............

Anyway, pitcher was a soph (local hs player) who was an all-American as a frosh, but has struggled this year. Looks like she's breaking out of it now. Opposing pitcher was a frosh who happens to be leading the conference in stikeouts and in strikeouts per game - and another local hs product. Both of the throwing strikes and batters swinging. Visitors only hit was a shot back up the middle that would have gone through the pitcher had she not gotten her glove on it & sent it into short left field. Game ended 6 pitches later via 2 strikeouts.

I've had the plate for 5 or 6 perfect games and been on the bases for another. Almost had another. That would have been pretty cool.

Steve M

[Edited by Steve M on Apr 20th, 2002 at 08:04 PM]
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Don't know if this counts, but I had a V HS game last week, final score 10-0 in five innings, the team that lost had not gotten a runner to first base for 4 2/3 innings, had only gotten to a 3 ball count on one batter.

Batter works count to 3-2 and walks on a pitch that wasn't close. Next batter pops up on the first pitch.

No perfect game..but still a no-hitter.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Never had a perfecto..............

Several no-no's............

Maybe someday..............sigh

Hmmmmmmmmmm...........maybe I oughta open up that strikezone just a bit.........

Joel
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Andy,
No hitters count just fine. Funny thing, I never realized that a no hitter or perfect game was happening while I was working the plate. But the one I was one the bases for - yeah, I knew that was happening. I noticed that I spent very little time outside of the A position.

Probably my favorite game was a 16&U game a few years ago. It was very hot & humid and I had an ump who needed a break. I suited up and took the plate. The losing pitcher did not walk anyone and threw a three hitter. The winner threw a perfect game. It was a 1-0 game on a homerun in the 6th - outfielders were cheating in as the game pregressed, so this homerun would have been caught early in the game. The whole game took about 48 minutes. The winning pitcher threw smoke & lots of it. The losing pitcher threw some smoke, but never threw anything straight and never threw to the same location twice in a row. It turns out that these teams met in the finals. The team that lost this game came back through the losers bracket and played them again. The same two pitchers hooked up and this time the thinking team won - they caught up to the speed and won by 5 or 6 runs.

Steve M
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Talking Nothing Like A no-no

Reading the posts about No-No's and Perfects brought back some great memories...I've been fortunate enough to work a couple no-no's in HS Girls Softball but way baaack before I started doing softball I was able to work games for a couple of kids who went on to to bigger things...
I worked a no-no for Jay Yennaco in a HS Freshman game and also worked a couple of "gems" for Chris Carpenter both in babe ruth baseball and HS.
Softball No-hitters are fun..but in that venue a great pitcher can "dominate" the game in a very "low-key" manner..in baseball the excitement seems to build with every pitch.
One thing about umpiring..it's easy to recall specific things 100 years ago...nothing else like it!!!

dougie