The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Had a HS playoff game today - home team is a schitzo team & you never know which one is going to show up. When they are there to play, they are very good and when they're not there to play, that's obvious, too. Anyway, they were there to play today and were outclassing their opponents. Their only problem was that most of the shots they hit were right at somebody. The visitor's batters were not able to get a loud foul - forget loud, not much more than a whisper - until the 5th inning or so. One out in the 7th and visting coach sends in a pinch hitter who looked at 3 pitches right down the middle. Two outs in the 7th & up comes the visitor's catcher - who is excellent at stopping every pitch & foul from hitting me but hops all over the place behind the plate. Catcher has an 0-2 count and bloops a ball into left - F6 couldn't get it and neither could F7. I think it kind irked the pitcher who smoked 3 belt high pitches past the next batter. Second time I've had the plate on this team this year - both times were 1-hitters with no walks.

After working some men's major play this past weekend, I really had to concentrate on slowing down & realizing that I wasn't working at the same level.

Steve M
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 08:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Had a HS playoff game today - home team is a schitzo team & you never know which one is going to show up. When they are there to play, they are very good and when they're not there to play, that's obvious, too. Anyway, they were there to play today and were outclassing their opponents. Their only problem was that most of the shots they hit were right at somebody. The visitor's batters were not able to get a loud foul - forget loud, not much more than a whisper - until the 5th inning or so. One out in the 7th and visting coach sends in a pinch hitter who looked at 3 pitches right down the middle. Two outs in the 7th & up comes the visitor's catcher - who is excellent at stopping every pitch & foul from hitting me but hops all over the place behind the plate. Catcher has an 0-2 count and bloops a ball into left - F6 couldn't get it and neither could F7. I think it kind irked the pitcher who smoked 3 belt high pitches past the next batter. Second time I've had the plate on this team this year - both times were 1-hitters with no walks.

After working some men's major play this past weekend, I really had to concentrate on slowing down & realizing that I wasn't working at the same level.

Steve M
Steve,
What a treat! 77 minutes?
mick
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty darn close Steve.......I have yet to have a perfecto (I know you have had a few).........that would have been special to have it in a Playoff game.

Spending the weekend with glen at an AFA NQ tournament in Beaumont.......

Hope to get a few good pictures.........

28 18U teams.........not a bad turnout.......and I hope (for daughters team) that it will be a Loooonnnnggg weekend...........grin

2nd tourney for us since HS ball ended..........but they look pretty sharp......

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on May 24th, 2002 at 09:43 PM]
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,
77 minutes? Nah, we were done in just under an hour. Final score was only 3-0. Would have been quicker but had a lot of 3-Ball counts.

I'm always just a bit leary when I work their games since I live in this town and have known most of the players for several years. It's better than it was a few years ago when many of the players were friends of my daughter and had spent some time at the house. One of those situations where there is the potential for somebody to claim a conflict of interest on my part.

Even had a couple of bangers at the plate & third and didn't hear any chirping. I think I had more called third strikes today than I've had in the past week combined.

Steve M
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote by SteveM.........home team is a schitzo team & you never know which one is going to show up.

Steve........as a coach of girls sports for over 10 years........I can tell you that this is a phenomenon that is not just common to the team you called today......

With my middle daughter...........I was lucky enought to coach her when she was on one of the best (Soccer/Softball) teams in the area........BUT........when they went South.......they ALL went South........used to drive me NUTS.........grin

For some unknown reason......in girls/womens sports.......they tend to feed off of each other........

When they have a bad game.........they tend to all have a bad game TOGETHER.........

And when they have a good/great game........all of the players tend to pick it up a notch.......

Maybe boys/mens sports are the same......but I never noticed it when I played.......

Joel
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Joel,
I tried coaching years ago when my kid played - soccer & swimming. I realized really quickly that I'd go nuts if I stuck with coaching. The soccer coaching wasn't worth much - at that age you could find the ball by looking for the crowd - no concept of passing or wings or any of that. With the swimming, I actually had a lot of expertise having swum at a national level when I was a kid. I found that my kid & the others there were more interested in being social than in swimming competetively.

I don't think you see that as much with males - maybe it's 'cuz we're not as empathetic with friends & teammates. Then again, it's been so long since I've been involved with as a player in a team sport that the old memory banks could be way faulty.

Steve M
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 10:08pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue

For some unknown reason......in girls/womens sports.......they tend to feed off of each other........

When they have a bad game.........they tend to all have a bad game TOGETHER.........

And when they have a good/great game........all of the players tend to pick it up a notch.......

Joel
Joel, Joel, Joel.
That is the nature of the female mammal kingqueendom.
Your daughters should have shown you that it many ways.
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

mick...........

Sisters are different than teamates.......

Sometimes, all sisters want to do is make the other ones cry...........or kill each other.......or.......cause the death of their Fathers...........I have yet to decide which..........grin

When my littlest was younger...........she knew how to push her older sister's buttons better than any human on earth........

Now that she has gotten older........she is paying the price for her previous transgressions.......her older and wiser sisters have learned how to push HER buttons.......

The only thing that bothers me.....is that in less than 3 years........I will have 3 teenage daughters at the same time............

I am already negotiating with the local funeral home.......

Joel

And to Steve........I also was a Swimmer..........all of the girls are fishes...........but pretty much suck competetively.........lol

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on May 24th, 2002 at 10:34 PM]
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me.....is that in less than 3 years........I will have 3 teenage daughters at the same time............
Joel,

You have me beat by a few years, it will be about seven more until I have three teenage girls at once. Perhaps I can draw upon your experience...if you make it through!

Old Thu May 30, 2002, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Quote:
Joel,

You have me beat by a few years, it will be about seven more until I have three teenage girls at once. Perhaps I can draw upon your experience...if you make it through!

I had a teenage daughter once. Good luck, fellas!